Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

no start hot

14hp Briggs just started acting up after cutting half acre and taking short break. Won`t restart. Tried starting fluid down carb throat, still no start. Let cool off 2 hrs. and started. Note: it has good power cutting thick grass and battery is good.

My 23D Briggs has done the same thing. Go back on these posts -not sure of the #, but sometime this last week or so Kent posted a possible cause as burned or sticking valves. Also think that with marginal spark you may get the same problem.

I would pull the sparkplug wire out of the coil and hold it with an insulated handle-type plyers about 1/4 to 3/8 inch from the coil and see if a nice blue/white spart is jumping while cranking it over. I would probably guess the coil is acting up and needs replacement. LEAVE THE INGNITION TURNED OFF - IT MIGHT START UP WITH THE "HOTTER" SPARK THAT IS OBTAINED WHILE "JUMPING" IT. Marion W. Kerr