Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mike_sdak

B&S flywheel screen screws 16Hp

mike_sdak
Hello. When removing the flywheel screen, one of the screws twisted off on me. I tried an ez-out (smallest size I could find) - no luck. What is the best method on these? Drill out the hole and retap? Anyone happen to know original size screw and replacement size? I don't have a tap and die set, so I'll need to purchase one if necessary.

3314WV
If the easy out does not work i would drill it out starting with a bit a couple sizes smaller and work my way up. Retap when you are close to original. I just bought a decent tap set at Harbor Freight for under 50.....

donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by mike_sdak
What is the best method on these? Drill out the hole and retap? Anyone happen to know original size screw and replacement size? I don't have a tap and die set, so I'll need to purchase one if necessary.
Depending on how even the shear, I might hit it with a center punch first. Then I would start with a small drill first, and work myself up. It depends on how the drilling goes - I don't like it when the drill starts wandering to the side. If you haven't used a tap before, the most important things are to use the right size drill for the tap, and keep the tap perpendicular as you start it. Use a firm steady pressure the first few turns. Good luck!

mike_sdak
Thanks for the replies. I drilled a 5/64 hole for the ez-out, unfortunately it is off-center. I guess I will need to go to a bigger bit and try to center it. It may be a challenge, as the flywheel is aluminum, with a steel screw. A learning experience in the making.