Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Massey Freguson 1450

Fred_Taylor

First I must thank you to the very informative history of the many lawn tractors. Second: I am trying to restore a Massey Ferguson 1450. I thought this was made by Simplicity but after reading your article it seems that it was made by Snapper, is that correct. Third: Would you know if or where driveline replacement parts would be available. Engine is good and trans is good but drive shafts and couplings must be replaced. I have sent e-mails to Massey Ferguson Lawn but did not get a reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

THe current massey lawn products (in the U.S) are made by Simplicity. For parts and service on non-simplicity MF garden tractors you will need to go through a Massey Ferguson tractor dealer. Go to www.agcocorp.com for a dealer locator. You can look up parts for your 1450 at www.agcopartsbooks.com Some parts are still available.

The Sanpper/MF 1450 and 1650 were the same tractor except for HP.The splined drive line without a universal were an issue as the rubber engine mounts wore out the engine would move around a little and cause the splines to wear.I've redone a couple.The splined couplings are a standard issue and were used on several lawn and garden applications.On one of the redos I used a mower shaft off a Bolens which worked nice had greasable universals and a telescoping shaft,on the other I made a shaft out of a couple shafts.The main things you want to accomplish is to go back on your hyro shaft to pick up the unused and unworn splines and to get at least one universal and preferably two in the drive shaft.Also the engine needs to be secured.