Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

What size belt??

Hi everyone, Quick question. What size belt should I use from my mule drive to my mower deck? I have a 42" mower (no tags left to ID it) and a 2210. I have two different manuals (printed from the web) for two decks that LOOK the same but both have a different length/width belt. one says: 108099 = 1/2" x 44" The other: 168171 = 3/8" x 48" Sooo without seeing which belts are in the rest of the manuals, anyone know the best belt to use?

dentwizz
The typical 42" deck will be a 1/2"x 43 or 44". Technically 44" but I sometimes use 43" for more grip(or availability). A general manual that seems to encompass most of the 42" decks seems to be the 990501 manual.

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
The typical 42" deck will be a 1/2"x 43 or 44". Technically 44" but I sometimes use 43" for more grip(or availability). A general manual that seems to encompass most of the 42" decks seems to be the 990501 manual.
Perfect thanks! Also while on the topic of decks isnt the idler pulley supposed to be on some sort of lever with spring to keep tension on the deck belt as it wears? I have 3 42" decks now and not a one of them have that setup. Just a bolted on idler pulley.

RayS
The earlier decks had the bolt that slides in a slot to increase tension then they went to a spring and idler arm later on. You can drill a hole and add the idler arm and spring. I believe there is a spring and idler arm for a 42 inch deck on ebay.