Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mike_sdak

cowl removal

mike_sdak
Hello. The cowl area on my 917H is quite rusty (lower portion of cowl, top of frame, under battery support, etc). I really need to remove it to sand and paint it. It appears I can't avoid removing the steering wheel or shaft to get the cowl off. On this tractor, there are two bolts on the steering wheel: a 5/16 bolt under the wheel center (easily removed), and a 5/16" bolt which goes transverse thru the wheel and shaft. I can't turn the second bolt out (impact wrench, breaker bar). I can't put too much torque on the breaker bar, without torquing the steering shaft. I don't know if the bolt is epoxied in, or if it is simply rust. Is it possible to remove the steering gear or wheel another way? The goal is simply to remove the dash and cowl -I don't really want to mess with the steering... Anyone else deal with this issue? How should I go about this?

OrangeMetalGuy
Try banging the bolt out with a drift pin, or drilling it out. You don't need to remove the steering gear, just the wheel. You should remove the cowl completely, there are 6-8 (can't remember) screws that screw up from the bottom into clips. You will need to take these out. I like to use POR-15. Once done, it will never rust again.

mike_sdak
Update..... I hit it with impact wrench, hammer, etc...to no avail. I started to drill the thing out, got about 1/3 thru and chickened out, (afraid I was off-center in the steering wheel). I went to a breaker bar, and it broke free. (whew). Then, the steering wheel pulled right off. (whew again..) The steering shaft flattens out to maybe 3/8" thick flat stock where the bolt passes thru. At the end of the flat area, the shaft is a 5/16" bolt. I guess I didn't know what to expect - it is different than others I have seen on this site. Thanks for the help,