Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What to do, what to do... and problem solved!

Burntime

I picked up this 3416. Rebuilt arbors, rear roller, starter, bgb, rear axle, newer rear tires, rear lift, front pto, and electric lift. It also has the updated ignition. The guy said it sat all winter. Battery is dead. He said it has no spark. Here it is after a quick bath. Even all 4 headlights work! Gonna see if I can get it running but if not it may be destined for parts...what would you do? O'yeah, the motor was rebuilt 4 years ago too.:D

My Opinion it would be a crime to part it out :O Has a lot going for it, unless the Vickers is really leaking, or has issues. Even has the deck delector with it ! If you have a blower, you could use it year-round.

The rear axle was all rebuilt. There was actually no sign of any leakage of any kind! No blower hitch, just gave it to blt. I can always use the 17gth-l to blow snow:D

i had one just like it i hated to sell it but it went to a good home that made it easier. i wish i could have grass that green mine is brown.

Definitely a keeper! If you pick up any other one you're going to wind up going through it anyway. Almost everything on this one has already been done. Like Greg said--if there are no major issues w/ the tranny, I'd keep it.

The issue with spark was the battery was completely dead. I charged it and nothing...jumped it with my soveriegn and it fired and died. Cleaned the carb and it runs good. 90 something compression and I see a mouse nest by the ignition, will clean it out and get a battery but I think I have a runner here! I really bought it to pick it clean to the bone, may still but will have some fun with it for a while... Vickers is in great shape, it wheelies!

It runs good but the key switch is not cranking it. I have an extra so it will be fixed. I cut with it and it does a great job...except... 10 or 15 minutes into it, it starts sputtering and acting like it is overheating. I shut it down for a few minutes and 3 minutes into it the sputtering starts again. I am going to check for the mouse nest. If not a nest whats the next you guys would check with the updated ignition? Scott, I am still on the fence on yours:D:D:D

Did you clean the points? If it sat all winter, the contacts are probably oxidized, even if they're new. New condenser wouldn't hurt either. Mice could have gnawed the coil secondary lead too.

Yep, I think I will leave it intact. It cut the lawn tonight and ran beautifully tonight. It even starts with the key, the front pto just needed a little attitude adjustment. Now it just needs the blades sharpened...:D

that looks like a pretty good one. i loved my 3314H. it had all the power i asked and was a bear in the woods pulling trees and such. i started having promblems with the vickers. i parked it for 3 yrs and i just now parted it out :(.

I am familiar with the old 2010,101 etc and the 7000 and 7100 series. What issues are there to look for with the vickers and the tractor?

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
I am familiar with the old 2010,101 etc and the 7000 and 7100 series. What issues are there to look for with the vickers and the tractor?
I think the main trouble with the vickers is that they tend to leak from the pintle shaft. the shaft penetrates the case without a bushing. there was a Sperry Rand TSB on this 30+ years ago the fix it to have it rebushed with a non-sintered bushing. SL stocks these cases already re-bushed... for exchange + i think ~100. Both mine are good and do not leak.. but I should cross my fingers and knock on wood. BTW, what is that spring for on the bracket above the hydro cooler? looks like a pretty nice tractor and with all the service done I'd think it would be pretty trouble free.

90 weight in the transmission (plug by hitch) filled to top of fitting, Dexron II in the Hydro reservoir, fill to plastic plug. Bad, broken down ATF is what causes the hydro to wear, should change fluid and filter every 1 to 2 years

Chris, the "spring ... on the bracket above the hydro cooler" applies "back" force against the hydro lever. It attaches to one end of the pintle lever, the other end attaches to the hydro handle linkage. Burntime, It's definitely a keeper. I like the Vickers in my Homelite T-12 better than the Sunstrands in the new tractors - smoother operation to me.

I would keep it!!!!!!!!! I have a similar Simp 7016 and it is a very reliable machine--- has plenty of pulling power. Moved 35 tons of dirt in a small garden trailer with no problems at all. It also has a front blade and nice cutting deck.

Very nice looking Hydro.....it would look very nice on a little spread in West Virginia........just let me know when you want to part with it...:)