Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

steering

osenga

I started working on a 710 I picked up for a buddy then he backed out of the deal on me said it was to much work to do to it. so I started working on it today. it is the 710 6 speed but you can barely turn the steering wheel it is like just about froze up. so on the shaft under the gear pulled the clip and then noticed the shaft is wallered out so the gear cant come off this way. So my question is can i remove the 2 bolts on the left side and the 1 under the tractor and drop the whole steering assy this way ??? just thought I would ask first since never had to pull one with the steering wheel shaft on it .. Any help would be great and the motor is still in the tractor

I was out in the shop and it was soaking for a good 2 hours and still no giving to them . So it was time for the impact to get it off . So i did the one under tractor first and it came off and was hoping for the same with the other 2 first one came off great and the 2nd one bolt head broke about 3/4 way out and just the head broke off so I was able to get rest out with vise grips . and got it all cleaned up wire wheeled the shaft and lubed it all up good and back together and it turns good now . next to see if the motor will run again

I picked up a B110 that had the same issues. It had been parked in a shed for over 20 years and otherwise looked in very good condition except the front tires were cocked slightly so it was always turned about an inch off center. The steering would't budge for anything so I decided to give it a powerwash and just kept soaking anything that had to do with the steering and found the gears at the very bottom of the steering wheel was my main problem. I jacked the front end up in the air and just kept soaking those gears and wiggling the steering wheel a little at a time until it ever so slightly started moving. I kept at it about 20 minutes and finally got everything working smoothly. Afterwards I let it dry and sprayed it down liberally with white grease and it's turned out to be the tightest least worn out tractor of this vintage I own. I had an old timer friend that used to work on windmills tell me he used water instead of WD40 and the like to disolve rust and as weird as it sounded he was right.