Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

64 LL front wheel assembly ques.

Simplicity314

My IPL for my '64 LL shows a total of four washers on each wheel assembly-- the washers that go up against the bearings. I took the wheels off the LL, which were put on there by the PO, as well as an old 3200 series, also tinkered with by a PO. Both assemblies had a total of 2 washers for each wheel. I doubled them up and dry fitted a wheel, and there is quite a gap between the back stop of the spindle and the inboard bearing, which leads me to lean towards 2 washers. There was no excessive wear--even the lettering on the bearing seals are crisp and clean. Should I stick with the 2 or use 4??? Thanks. I am in the process of swapping out the oversized wheels on my LL. It looked a little something like the one posted in Show and Tell with the 17" Cadillac wheels, though mine wasn't nearly as pretty (or ugly, depending on how you look at it). I got the back wheels squared away and am working on the fronts. Like I said I am using the front wheels off an old 3200 series. Upon pulling them, I found one side with the original type cone bearings, and the other side a set of straight roller bearing pressed on! There was a set of larger trailer wheels on the front of the LL that were removed.

Hmmm, 2 or 4 total OR 6 or 8? I looked at the parts manual for my B-110 and it shows 3 washers per axle - 2 inboard and one out board. I also looked at the parts manuals for the LL's that are similar to the B-110 (990432 and 990496) and surprise, surprise, they both show: for the left side, 2 washers inboard and 1 outboard; for the right side, 4 washers inboard and 1 outboard! It's my limited FDT experience that you use 2 washers inboard and 1 or 2 washers outboard depending on exactly how much axle shaft is available. This is with the newer inboard bearing without the built in seal plus the separate seal sandwiched between the washers and the bearing. Also, two inboard washers are about the thickness of the "spacers" used in place of the washers on the newer tractors (they use one spacer both inboard and outboard). Using 2 inboard washers gives you a little more clearance between the wheel hub and spindle face and insures the seal lip is riding well within the wheel hub where it's more protected. PS - the 4 washers inboard has to be a misprint IMO.

Thanks Bill. I double checked the IPL I have and it shows 4 for each side--2 inboard and 2 outboard. I'm going to have to order a few more since I have a total of 6 good ones between the 2 machines. The 3200 had one that was chewed up and another that had a key way slot in it, God knows from what. The LL only had 2 on each side since they wheels on it were trailer wheels --rated for highway use, so they were a bit wider. Doesn't look like it affected anything. Like I said I was worried about the seemingly large gap with 2 washers on the inboard side because of the seal. Looks like debris could easily get in there. Bill--was it you who wanted the lift rod from that 3212? I got to it a good month ago but apparently PMs expire or were somehow deleted. Thanks again Bill

Upon further thought, I realize the number of inboard washers doesn't effect the location of the seal; the location of the seal relative to the hub is set by the position of the race location and the bearing. And it was I that wanted the lift rod from the 3212 you were parting out.