Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blades on Backwards?

PhanDad

This is a pic of the deck of the Legacy that's listed in the eBay forum:

I believe Legacy's have left discharge decks so the pic can't be a "mirror or reverse image". Isn't the cutting edge on the wrong side of the blade? I heard of folks reversing the deck rotation direction and installing opposite hand blades to make a "mulching" mower. Maybe this is one of them.

Bill, I am not an expert by any stretch on legacy tractors, but my legacy (2000 - 2003) with a 54 inch deck has a right hand discharge. That said the photo does not look reversed since the foot controls match my set up. I can see the controls to raise and lower the deck, plus the control to lock the differential in slipper conditions. Guess that was not too helpful. Rick..........

The Legacys' used a 60" deck similar to the Sunstar 60" deck. These decks normally have the right and center blade spinning one direction and the left blade spins the opposite direction. I also have a 60" Sunstar deck that has all 3 blades turning the same direction and it does not spread the clipping out nearly as well or cut as nice as the deck with the one blade turning in the opposite direction. Dan

RickS is correct the legacy decks have two clockwise blades and one counterclockwise blade, just like the sunstar decks

RonH, Deck is on correct there are two wheels on the front that you push down and turn 90 degrees then let down the rear wheel that's sticking up in the air, disconnect the chains and pins in front and roll the deck out from under the tractor. it does look like the roller behind the chute is broke off or hidden by the camera angle. that mower blade has been sharpened way past the safe point on blades, there's easily an inch ground out of it.

What advantage would that have to have 2 one way and one opposing? I can understand mulching but that seems to be a strange way to do it.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
My Sunstar 48" deck has 3 LH blades.
That's correct for the 48" deck. 60" has the opposing rotation on the blade at the discharge shoot. I believe it is for better dispersion of cuttings as Dan said. It has a very strong discharge.