Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

michael3012

Hi, I am new to both this forum and to collecting and rebuilding old tractors. I just bought my first one. I picked up and simplicity 3012, it came with a front brush hog, under deck mower, rear tiller, snowplow, disks, and sickle bar mower. I was told that the bevel gear box was bad, but he had a spare to go with the sale. I learned later, how to test to see if its in good shape. This spare not only had some play but also leaked. My question is, How hard is it to rebuild this unit and where would I find info. on rebuilding it. I would prefer to do all my own work on this tractor. If anyone can help me I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Welcome!! there are a couple articles here: http://simpletractors.com/club2/portal_articles.asp?catid=35&cattitle=Bevel That will likely get you headed in the right direction. good luck and keep us posted! Im sure once you tear into it and get a better idea of exactly what is wrong you will get plenty of advice on how to proceed!

quote:
Originally posted by michael3012
This spare not only had some play but also leaked.
I just bought a tractor with a BGB that acted like your spare (your good one B))
The replacement parts for these are very expensive. To give you an idea, I was going to replace the bearings and seals *only*, and the 15% discounted price at the stealer was $89. And the shafts and gears are the most expensive parts! $87 and $40 for the shafts, and $80 and $95 for the gears.
What you may want to do is tear both down and see what parts you need. The shafts can get worn both at the keyways and the bearings (especially with loss of oil). BGBs show up on Ebay often - maybe you can find a seller you trust that advertises one to be good.

Michael-- Welcome to the club! You'll find the ten dollar membership fee to be well spent with all the information that's here. You stated that this purchase came with a front brush hog. I think what you have is a weed cutter attachment. Hard to find and desireable--just be careful using it. Find a manual and read it thouroghly as this can be a wicked piece of equipment. Pay very close attention to the safety rules. Good luck-Dave

Thank you for the feed back on my project. I became a full member as of today and look forward to using this forum and all of its members to help me become a proud owner of a restored tractor. I will post some pics of what my project looks like. Toomanytractors, I'm was told it was a front brush hog, It has three blades that stick out from the box that mounts on the front of the tractor. Looks pretty nasty for sure. I will take a better picture of it and post it on here for all to see. Thanks again for the information from all.

Here are some photos of what I picked up. Everything you see I was able to get for $400.00. I believe this is good deal. I will post better pictures of each attachment soon.

[img]/club2/attach/RayS/0041.jpg[/img]

That front-mount brushcutter, tiller and sickle bar are all sought after attachments. Any combination of two of the three would be worth as much or more than you paid for the whole shooting match! Good score! :O:D:D:D:D

OK I went out and took some pictures of just the front mower.(brush Hog)so here they are.

Thanks Kent, I also have my eye on a dethatcher attachment, my neighbor has and never used.

Well I guess I would like to make a diary of my rebuild with this 3012. My first tractor and I want to be able to do all the work my self and make this project the best one I can. When I bought, this tractor I was told that the bevel gear box was shot. They supplied me a spare to replace it with, but on checking the spare I could see that it too needed to have some work. Thanks to Zippo on you tube for having teaching videos to watch. To make sure that the BGB was really bad as they said I needed to get the tractor running, With purchase of new battery I was feeling very optimistic. But to my surprise I needed to replace the negative wire for it was to short. With that being done I turned on the gas and started to crank over the engine. No spark but I did see gas was flowing from the carburetor like a small stream. Upon checking the carb, I see that the two bolts holding it together were totally loose. when I tried to tighten them I figured out quickly that the carb was striped. So off comes carb, and I re tap it slightly, just enough for the bolts to take hold once again. Now Carb back on and tight. Try turning over, but no spark.. check plug.. and need new one, took of Jap cheap plug and went to automotive store. With the right champion in hand I replace and turn over, and it comes alive.. she starts running.. Joy oh Joy.. but when put in gear.. nothing happens but noise. The bgb is shot... So now Im trying to get it out by removing the parts of the tractor in the way, But now the only thing holding me back from getting to the bgb is the steering wheel, it will not come off to slide tractor control plate out of the way. Any Ideas to get a rusted on steering wheel off? So at this point I'm stuck, but I did start stripping down the sheet metal side panels and got them ready for paint.

Good purchase Michael. Impressive selectin of attachments yo got there. Working on these old tractors can be a very rewarding experience......and also the ultimate test of patience....8D

I have in the past just removed the steering wheel as part of the dash by disconnecting the steering shaft coupling at the steering gear thus avoiding removing the steering wheel altogether. You pretty much need to remove the dash anyway.

Thank you all for the info. I was looking at that shaft coupling figuring if i couldn't get the wheel off then I would start there. I do want to take the dash off so I can strip and paint too. So It should be easier once the steering shaft is out to put on a vice and tap of the steering wheel at some point. I will check out other posts on wheel removal to learn a trick or two. Cant hurt. Thanks again

I've have also done what Reed suggests and you plan to do. Once the wheel and shaft are "on the bench" it's easier to get the wheel off. Lots of soaking with Kroil and persistence did it for me.

Michael....be SURE to take a lot of pictures as you take it apart. You will regret it if you don't. Don't bother asking me how I know. larry

Thank you all for the input. Yes no matter how you spell or say it that piece of equipment looks nasty, but I was told it works great. Great Idea about the pictures too, I have been taking a lot but for other reasons, but it does make sense to do it for a reference too. Thanks again..

I have not been able to get to work on tractor as of yet but I did start stripping and applying first coat of sealer to side panels.

I will start on hood in a couple of days, busy week and weekend now. Hope you enjoy pics..

I'm just checking in on your post and I'm impressed at the range of attachments and the quality of your work. The only thing I have to offer is you might get a secound tractor for parts and for referancing where everything might go.

Thanks Dave, I do have my feelers out looking for some more 3012s for parts. Just been busy with summer coming to an end with my work. This was going to be my winter project but I couldn't wait that long to start. I have the bug. But thanks for any input anyone would like to extend to me all is welcome.

I used a combination of sanding with a hand sander and in the tough to reach areas I used a chemical that I had laying around for stripping furniture. It worked fine and then I hand sanded the area to finish it off. I haven't sand blasted anything up to this point.