Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

All done for this year. (unless I break it)

larry8200

Completely rebuilt front end (Tires, ball joints X 2, bushings X 4, Spacers X 3, spindles and tie rod from 92 GTH-L) Re-worked and beefed up electrical system: Fuses, lots of wire, "new" S/G, Voltmeter, and Hour/Tach meter. New Fuel Cap/Gauge New center PTO complete, (well, nice used set). New Seat. Except rear rims, all new paint. All new decals. Replaced the last two original belts. It may very well outlive me.

Nice tractor but I hope the winch is bolted into the frame rather than just the seat deck. Pull enough load with the winch and it could just pull the rubber catches and flip your seat deck right back ...and send you flying:O:D

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Nice tractor but I hope the winch is bolted into the frame rather than just the seat deck. Pull enough load with the winch and it could just pull the rubber catches and flip your seat deck right back ...and send you flying:O:D
The only way that could happen is to back up to a precipice, and have the cable going straight down, and really not even then. I did a post on it: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112021

Larry-- Cool headlight treatment. I've thought about doing that on mine and now that I've seen it I think I will. Kinda makes it look like an 8N Ford8)

Looks like you did a great job. Have enjoyed reading your various posts. Hope redo on my 6216 will look as good. Well done.

Sharp looking tractor. I think those headlights look better than the factory dual headlights on the side, personally, even if they aren't stock. With power lift, that should be a nice working machine -- even though it looks too nice to work...

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Sharp looking tractor. I think those headlights look better than the factory dual headlights on the side, personally, even if they aren't stock. With power lift, that should be a nice working machine -- even though it looks too nice to work...
Thanks everyone. It's a great working machine, and I like running it. Although I've been looking for sometime for a foot dragger, this is still my ONLY tractor and it has to work. For the first time I'm not looking forward to mounting the snowblower on it this fall. On the other hand I think part of the reason it runs so well is it's never sat idle, which IMO can be harder on seals and fluids etc. than running it year round. What to do???

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
I think those headlights look better than the factory dual headlights on the side, personally, even if they aren't stock.
reminds me of the Allis made homelites ^. yep larry, make this your designated snowblower / light duty tractor. and get yourself a FDT and work the crap outta it :D.
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/homelite/pg_2-1_small.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
The only way that could happen is to back up to a precipice, and have the cable going straight down, and really not even then. I did a post on it: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112021
Larry, I hate to tell you this, but technically Sam is correct. The winch is mounted above the pivot bolt hinges for the rear seat deck. The line of action of the winch cable is offset above the hinge point of the seat deck and as load is applied to the cable it creates a Moment about the hinge, trying to raise the seat pan. As soon as that moment exceeds the reaction force of the seat pan latches, the seat pan will open. If you are sitting on the seat pan, then your weight acting the distance ahead of the seat pan hinge creates a counter moment that helps to hold the seat pan from opening. However, with sufficient cable pull, the seat pan could still open even if you are sitting on it. Now, you may not have experienced any issues with it opening yet and this may be due to simply not having applied sufficient cable load for it to happen, but in my opinion, this is not a desirable place to mount the winch. A better place would have been to mount it to the rear hitch uprights, the closer to the axle centerline vertical distance the better.

The winch has thoroughly "tested" for over 8 years now. Please read the post on it if you would like to make informed criticism of it. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112021

As far as I can tell, this post has nothing to do with the winch. When I joined this club in June, I posted pictures, and at the request of you all, I did a comprehensive post on the winch. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112021 Where I spent many hours putting the post together and answering your questions. I do not know why Sam and Steve are coming out now with questions and doulbts and condemanations, but it doesn't matter. I have already stated I wont be posting any more pictures showing the winch. Since I have no intention of removing it, I will not be posting any more pictures of this tractor here. I wil however bee here with you all! :)

Larry, I looked at the linked post on your winch installation. Thanks for posting it as I had never read it before. Not all of us read every post in these forums. The questioning of such a placement is not meant to annoy you, or scratch your apparently thin skinXX(:(, but rather to express just and sound concerns for others who may attempt to copy your nice work.;) You have to realize that there are literally hundreds if not thousands of others looking at the posts and pictures in these forums. Not everyone takes all aspects of a situation into consideration when they set out to copy someone elses ideas. Just because you may use restraint when using your winch, does not mean the next guy will. Viewpoints such as mine that raise questions are more directed to that "next guy" in an effort to put some caution into his mind when attempting a project such as this. A simple saftey solution to what I see as a potential concer would be to merely put a firm mechanical latch on the seat deck, something as simple as a pair of solid nuts and bolts, or pins with cotters. People have been killed by accidents more freakish than a seat deck flipping up and tossing the operator off breaking his neck.