Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Picked up two 16's this weekend ......

Bailey

Picked up two 16's this weekend, and a spare set of wheels. The 3416-H ran when the owner (a friend from work) got tired of fiddling with the ignition. The 716-6 is a Kohler and is a decent runner as is. ...

The 3416H is complete and very solid. The sheetmetal is very straight and the paint is actually not even that bad.

The 42" deck, though, is a little rough. Seems strange that a guy who works as a diesel mechanic would maintain a mower like this ?!?!

Points cover is gone from messing around before he gave up and bought a new zero turn. Whole thing has got a serious layer of barn dust ....

The 716-6 can be used as is, but needs some work. Typical stuff for a mower that was used without being maintained. Front right wheel wobbles so bad it looks like the bearings could be completely gone. Steering wheel has been broke and bushing needs replaced. Throttle linkage is out of whack and motor needs a tune. The deck is a 48" and has surface rust, but so far I've found no cracks or rust through.....

Motor is all in all very clean, but I'm not used to this Kohler stuff......

And here's the mess in the garage. Some of you will be glad to know that there are 2 tractors outside under a tarp .......

Andy, I really didn't know how bad your case of tractor desease was! Have you taken a count of what you have there? Nice score on the two this weekend. John U

quote:
Originally posted by Bailey
The 42" deck, though, is a little rough. Seems strange that a guy who works as a diesel mechanic would maintain a mower like this ?!?!

Nah--Duct tape...the handyman's secret weapon!

quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
I really didn't know how bad your case of tractor desease was! Have you taken a count of what you have there?
Oh, come on John, it's not that bad. Of course I've got a good count of what's there ....... let's see, there's: a B-10 3012-V 3212-V 3410-S 3416-H T13-S 716-6 7010-H 7110-6 4041 4-42" decks 3-48" decks 60" p-max deck brinly plow brinly spike aerator chinese dethatcher AC sickle bar 2-42" snow/grader blades 2-46" trip blades rear cultivator cyclone spreader 2 tillers 3-point carryall 3-point 48" box blade and a crappy beast of a 22hp ranch king pro I use like a brush-hog

all the tractors that have come threw my place, ive never seen a deck rotted that bad. heck i cant even think of seeing one with a rust hole. most of mine have been from the 1960's. it must be the metal they used in the 70's. just like the old chevy trucks.

I got a pair of mower decks with rust when I got my tractor but that was definitely ignored rust. That only happens from wet grass that was left in place. Wow. Nothin a little weld patches wouldnt fix:p

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
quote:
Originally posted by Bailey

Nah--Duct tape...the handyman's secret weapon!
What it needs is a beer can cut open and some pop rivets. Good as new!!:D

I have to say that's the first time I've seen a deck held together with duct tape! If you run that thing, keep yer feet up high!

quote:
Originally posted by perry
all the tractors that have come threw my place, ive never seen a deck rotted that bad. heck i cant even think of seeing one with a rust hole. most of mine have been from the 1960's. it must be the metal they used in the 70's. just like the old FORD trucks.
I like that deck too LOL