Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mounting voltage regulator, 917H

mike_sdak

OK, I have now gotten to the point in my re-power operation where I am looking to site my voltage regulator. From other's posts, I have seen 3 locations: -top of SG bracket on engine head, inside cowl (in my case it would involve moving the solenoid to the top of the engine), or under the gas tank support, per PhanDad. I have a larger square voltage regulator, I think PN 295924, and it doesn't really fit vertically under the gas tank support on my 917H. I could maybe bend the gas tank support 1/8" to 1/4" to provide clearance - or - I can mount it right on the S-G bracket (holes are already there) - or - I can mount in the cowl, where the Solenoid is currently. How much of a concern is the vibration damaging the VR with this? I would just mount it in the easy spot on top of the engine, but I am not sure..... Thoughts? Thanks in advance,

Mike, I mounted a vr just above the battery, on the right side of the cowl. I have a clunker 917 with a Briggs engine that I only use for snow removal, so was not worried about drilling a couple of holes in the cowl. It probably would not clear if you used a tall battery. It works ok with a small L & G battery. My Homelite T-10 has the vr under the battery/gas tank bulkhead. It's a bit of a pain to get to. I hope this helps, Jim

There are some holes already predrilled in the dash tower for a voltage regulator. They are near the hydro lever on the right side.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
There are some holes already predrilled in the dash tower for a voltage regulator. They are near the hydro lever on the right side.
[img]/club2/attach/RayS/allisd.jpg[/img]

Thats where I put them if they are the rectangular ones.They bolt in using spacers to space them away from the wall 3/4" or 1", somewhere in there. this is how the early 7000 series were done from the factory with the S/G. If using a square regulator I mount those up top of the engine usually on the generator bracket.

Thanks for the thoughts. My square regulator is a bit bulky to fit in the spot Ray describes. I think I'll put it on top of the S-G bracket. Hopefully the engine heat and vibration don't bother it too much.