Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hotwire

good news and bad news with question

hotwire
good news is, thanks to everyone here, i was able to get a set of rings for the briggs, installed them and reassembled the motor, and the ticking / tapping is gone and ran sweet after a tiny card adjustment. I was able to mow again finally. The grass was really tall, but i kept it in 1st and just had fun with it. Handled it no prob................. kinda...... i mowed for about an hour and a half and took a break. I figured it was hot and for a first run after the rebuild that was a pretty strong test. when i went to start the tractor, (7013s) i noticed the S/G was having a hard time turning the motor..... then i noticed the deck belt was trying to move with the motor, but the PTO is disengaged...... it was working fine, then just "broke". the engine will actually spin easier with the PTO engaged then not......... so i assume i tore up the PTO clutch or something inside? Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Chris727
Take a look at your pulley on the gearbox while engaging and disengaging the lever (with unit not running). Check all linkages to make sure the pulley is acutally moving in and out. It is common for the clutch bearing to fail but when that happens they will usually still turn on and off.

hotwire
thanks for the replies guys! It has to be something like you're talking about, because i took the deck off and all arbors are solid (had one break earlier this year and jammed up the deck)showing me it's in the PTO. When i hit the lever, the pulley set up does not move on it's own. I can grab it and pull it out by hand ( a 1/4"), but it doesnt do it by itself, like a spring is missing or broke.......... i'll have to look at a schematic for the PTO pulley cylinder and see if i can find something. Like i said, i was mowing, everything great, shut it off, took a break, and when i went to start it, the tractor said it was taking a break....... ;-) If anyone has any more ideas, lets hear them. Thanks alot.