Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The new vickers is getting slow as it heats up...

Burntime

Will a fluid change do much or is it time to parts her out? I though she was a runner until she started slowing down up the hills today mowing... Any vickers pros out there? Yes it is engauged fully and the belt is tight...

well... hmmm.. could the fluid be old and losing viscosity as the temp increases? in that way of thinking I would vote for a fluid and filter change... the filter is available at napa $10-$15 and dexron is cheap.... on mine im just afraid to change the filter for fear of dislodging some debris and allowing it in the system...

The vickers have a filter? I parked it a/3 up a hill and full throttle ran the hydro full forward. It kinda hops and then starts pulling...

is the fluid res full sounds like going up hill depending on how steep its running out i know mine leaks like a son of a gun so im always adding

Checked the level to see if low or if it was foammy, it was fine. When I hit the lever on a hill it just kinda hops and then goes slow until it hits level ground, then it seems normal???

Mercron must be the same as Dexron or atleast a close match. Walmart sells it as a Dexron - Mercron mix for around $10.00 for a gallon.

Check your four hoses to make sure none of them are crimped and chocking down the oil flow. Slow oil flow will cause things to heat up also. You have a 40 plus year machine. Some of that can't last forever.

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Thats what I am going to try...I was going to use mercron, is there something better?
like Ray said Dexron/mercon is often speced the same. The officially approved fluid is Dexron "(only)" as stated in the simplicity massey ferguson agco transmission & gearbox lube chart: http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22258