Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro won't move at first, but just sometimes

goodtimo

We have a AC 712 hydro that periodically experiences some hydro problems. Sometimes after you start it up, it won't move in either direction for about 45 seconds. After that brief pause, it will work fine. It doesn't happen all the time, but it has occurred about a handful of times over the years (twice just recently). We're at a loss as to what's going on. It appears to have the right amount of fluid in it, although it's definitely a pain to fill without a breather tube on it. There's no slop in the linkage or anything either. Any ideas?

quote:
Originally posted by Al
HI, Charge pump is getting weak. Al Eden
thanks for the info. I've not heard of that part before. Do you know what that would that entail if we were to get it fixed? Is it expensive, or hard to do? Or would we be better off swapping one from another. thanks,

Hi, Haven't put one on for quite a while. I would expect them to be 300.00 plus now. You could use a used one. The tractors with hydraulic lift have one with a thicker gerotor If you take it off, DO NOT turn the gerotor parts over they must stay the same way they are in the casting. They are easy to change, just two bolts on the outside of the hydro casting on the left side. If you can get one of the thicker ones, so much the better. If I bought a new one, I would order one for a 7100 or Sovereign with hyd lift. Al Eden

Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess I never knew what that part was because we've never had any problems with any of our hydros, ever. That includes 5 of them, even a 3314 that the dealer recalled in the 1970s to fix something on the hydro that wasn't even broken yet. We never had trouble before the recall or after. So this issue on the 712 really had me perplexed. After your suggestions, I checked the pedal as mentioned and called some dealers for some prices on parts. All I can say is, "WOW!" Those parts are expensive. Looks like I will either look for the part used, or deal with it until it quits. I do have a shuttle rear-end that's properly adjusted I could put in if I had to. thanks again,