Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
700seven

maximum r.p.m. for a cast iron 10hp briggs?

700seven
would like to know what kind of r's a 10 hp castiron briggs can run I just got the tractor all back iknow I've seen 350 but what are they really capable of i'd like to sneak up to it instead blowwing up in the first day of its new life i did not see a way to attach pictures otherwise i would have included being this thing was totally stripped to bare metal blasted and re-painted it turned out nice

sammiefish
I while I cant speak to briggs specifically, the Kohlers should be limited at 3600 RPM. Although, I know the puller guys rebuild and run un-governed to somewhat higher than that. Brian Miller's website has rebuilds producing: "Horsepower and Torque: Example: 37 cubic inch, 16hp engine having a 3.815" bore and 3.25" stroke, up to 49 horsepower @ 7,500 rpm and 55 ft. lbs. of torque @ 5,500 rpm on racing gasoline."

Burntime
quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
I while I cant speak to briggs specifically, the Kohlers should be limited at 3600 RPM. Although, I know the puller guys rebuild and run un-governed to somewhat higher than that. Brian Miller's website has rebuilds producing: "Horsepower and Torque: Example: 37 cubic inch, 16hp engine having a 3.815" bore and 3.25" stroke, up to 49 horsepower @ 7,500 rpm and 55 ft. lbs. of torque @ 5,500 rpm on racing gasoline."
That should be enough to cut the lawn quick!:D

timflury
The higher RPMs are all fine and good as long as everything is precision balanced. Briggs engines are horsepower rated at 3600 RPM. I have seen engines run as high as 8000 rpm on the vibra-tach.

dentwizz
In the manuals for the commercial cast-irons I saw it say "rated for continuous use up to 4000 rpm". That said, that is crazy fast for anything with an attachment. My neighbor mows his yard with a wheel horse that is going over that and it sounds like an air-raid siren under the deck.sm00

HubbardRA
I used my 243431 B/S for tractor pulling many years ago. I had it set to turn 6000 rpm on the governor. I would leave the starting line at that speed but it would pull down much slower once the weight of the sled hit the tractor. This was basically a stock engine. I am now using that same engine on one of my daily workers with the governors set at 3600 rpm. I have friends who had the pro stock Kohlers that were turning 7500 rpm, but those were precision balanced.

PGL
The faster you run it, the sooner it wears out. If it's out of balance or the lubrication breaks down something will give much sooner. If you want an engine that will power your tractor for a longer useful life, keep it under 3,500 rpm. For some jobs, going too slow can put extra strain on the engine also. If I remember right, the the manual for my 620 recommends the proper speed range and gearing for various jobs.

Brettw
Lot's of numbers all over the board. Remove the governor, put in high test fuel. Attach a tach. Run 'er up at wide open throttle. Keep an eye on the tach. Whatever the tack says when she grenades is the maximum RPM.:O:o)

700seven
and when it gernades knock it down a 100 rpm for the next re-build right? i do that enough on a couple of sleds i have and i hate to say it but jap stuff works i run all yamaha's 79 srx440 126hp on the dyno, sxviper 700 189hp on 89 octane tail worthy and just completed a apex 1000 with a turbo and nos i really dont want to torch this one