Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steveo358

deck rebuild questions

steveo358
Im rebuilding a 48" deck. What do you guys use over the rusted areas?Was looking some kind of rust inhibitor, or should I just clean up, and use rustoleum. Also , is it ok to flip the spindles over. There are grooved areas where blades mount, and was thinking about flipping to the pulley side. Thank you , Steve

sammiefish
I wire wheel the undersides of my decks and paint with E-Z Slide graphite paint... but Im not necessarily convinced this is absolutely the best choice but it seems to be OK... its not fun wire wheeling it the following year though... huge black face when Im done!! I have heard guys say POR-15 is the best stuff reading about it, it does sound pretty darn good.

merlinct7
I used POR-15 on a 48" deck year before last. It's held up pretty well, but I wouldn't say it's perfect. There's been a little bit of chipping (I seem to hit at least one stray rock every time out) but the coat is pretty much completely intact after two years. The ideal coating would be non-stick, of course, but POR-15 still can accumulate grass. Not as much as a simply painted surface though, and if grass does collect I wouldn't think you'd need to worry much about moisture in the adhered grass rotting out the shell, as POR-15 is impervious to moisture. Personally, I still wash out the deck after every mowing.

walker
electrolytic rust removal! drop it in a vat made with plastic sheet (large) and let electricity take care of the problem while you do something else. I've done this often - a lot cleaner, easier, and much more thourogh than any other rust removel process. you won't believe the results.