Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelk

More Questions

joelk
Sorry for all the questions, but I guess I'm headed towards a multi-tractor fleet and realize I don't know much about other models. 1. Will the rear end of a 3410H fit on ny 3112H? 2. Will the rear end of a 7012H fit on my 3112H? 3. Will a 10hp briggs power a 42" blower? (My 12 did just fine) 4. Can you effectively use a snow blower without a Hydrostatic transmission? (can you really go back to a 3 speed).

Burntime
I know they say you need 12hp for the 42 inch blower. I have always had 16 or 17 so no 1st hand experience. I know some people that have a 3 speed on a 16hp tractor and snowthrow in 2nd gear all the time.

RickS
Joel, I would think a 10 horse on a gear tractor could handle a 42 inch blower. The figure I hear most often is 12 horses on a hydrostatic tractor can be used with a 42 inch blower. The hydrostatic transmission does take away from the power of the motor so less is available for the blower. The big question is how much power does the hydrostatic transmission take from the motor. Another issue is with a hydrostatic tractor one can vary the speed of the tractor as needed to keep the blower full of snow. One needs to keep the blower full of snow. This allows the blower to throw the snow as far as it can. Rick........

larry8200
I think the rear ends from the 3410H and 3112H are the same. I dont know if the Sundstrand hydro on the 7012H bolts up the same as the Vickers on the other 2. Probably could be made to work if you changed the hydro with the rear end. If you get a lot of heavy snow the 10 horse geared tractor is probably going to struggle.

3314WV
I would say the answer to #1 is certainly yes.....#2 would be a yes with possibly minor tweaking......Can't help on the snowblower questions....around here, those are nothing more than yard ornaments....never snows enough to warrant one.

dentwizz
To answer the geared/hydro snowblow question, operator is the difference. A skilled cluch foot can make any manual run a snowblower with less hydrostatic loss than a hydro unit with a sloppy operator. If you don't want to have to think as much, a hydro will be simpler to use in said. At least in a theoretical sense, the hydrostatic losses should be minor for that duty under most conditions since the propelled speed is slow and engine rpm is high, unlike mowing where the throttle is moderate and transmission loading is higher.

sammiefish
In my experience with my AC 310 (Variable 3 speed manual) It throws snow quite nicely with the 42" blower... We do get some good snow here but I haven't let it get too much over a foot deep either as said above, the official recommendation was 12Hp or more for the 42" blower.