Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

supermanwv

Rebuilding carb on 1972 Simplicity/Homelite CT-10

supermanwv
I'm rebuilding the carb on my Homelite (Simplicity) CT-10, and I noticed that when I removed the carb from the motor, there was a piece of carboard/whatever type stuff cut to bolt behind the carb and extend over and cover some aluminum cooling fins on the motor behind the carb. I imagine the piece is to block heat from the exhaust, that mounts below where the carb mounts, from hitting those cooling fins. IS THIS PIECE IMPORTANT? Cause while removing it, it ripped, and the bottom ear of it is no longer attached where it would block the heat. Can I make a new one out of something, or will leaving it off be ok? (Or I guess I can put all but the ripped off piece back on). What should I do? Any other tricks of the trade for rebuilding the carb....? This is my first rebuild....so I'm pretty excited. Clark (SupermanWV)

3314WV
First of al welcome Superman. I had no idea their was another WV Mountaineer in the club.....i have not seen the material you are referring to on any of my machines. Sounds like something specific to Homelite to me but i certainly do not think it is required.

jasper
I am pretty sure you are working on a vertical shaft engine which is why 3314wv has never seen one (the tractors he has listed are all horizontal shaft) and it is important. If it is the gasket I am thinking of it is part of the intake gasket and should be replaced. It is not Homelite specific it is Briggs and Stratton specific. More info on what your working on would help.

JimDk
A T-10 , 1972 Homelite should have a 243431 horizontal shaft engine with an electric clutch on the front. It would have std. manifold and carb. flange Briggs gaskets. There were no vertical shaft 10 hp. Homelites that year. Of course, with a torch and welder, anything is possible.:):)

MrSteele
That piece of cardboard you are referring to is likely a part of the intake manifold gasket that actually assures the cooling air circulates around the valve stem castings. You can leave it out or off, but, I would put something there if I were going to use the machine more than a few minutes.