Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ags or Turfs in snow (with chains)

OrangeMetalGuy

This winter, I have the option of installing two new ag tires on the back of my 716H. I always run chains in the winter... will I be better off with the ags or turfs? Normally I would think ags, but I am wondering if the chains will just slide in between the treads and be less effective than they would be on turfs. Thoughts?

Ag with chains has been my recipe for 10 years plus. Works for medOd The Bar treads grab the snow, while the chains grab the ice..

I am with Sam on this one Ag's and chains are the way to go. My driveway and private road both have small hills and Ag's alone won't get me up the hill. I need chains. Rick.......

I have ags with chains on the back of my 7114h with a plow, the rear grabs great, but I loose the front often so am going to install some tri ribs on the front for this winter. My 7117h has the snowthrower on it with ags and chains on the back never an issue through 3 feet of drifts and ice under it all.

I need chains on turfs if I use them on snow and ice. I have never put a set of chains on the two sets of the AGs that I have used for snow removal. I have two sets of AGs that have proved that they are very worthy of moving snow without chains: a set of 23x10.5x12 Nankang AGs, and a set of 25x10x12 Dunlop ATV AGs. Many other members may say this is not true, but it has been true for me.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam The Bar treads grab the snow, while the chains grab the ice..
I was wondering why the Ag's would be better - this makes good sense, which I am short on at times.

One thing that has not been mentioned is two or four link chains. Regardless of turfs or Ag's I always run two link chains. And yes some of chains will fall between the lugs, but enough of the chains will rest on top of the lugs and give you traction. Again I recommend Ag's, two link chains and wheel weights. My last year's system was a 7018H with Ag's, two link chains, and wheel weights. This years system (yet untested by me) Legacy with turfs, two link chains, wheel weights, and limited split. Rick.........

I personally run 8.5" wide turfs with 2 link claw chains in winter(instead of 10.5" in summer). One point to favor ags/chains combo instead of turf/chain combo could be pressure concentration. By placing ags on top of chains, a reduced number of chain points will engage the ice producing the effect of having more weight. I would probably have ags personally if the budget would permit since my property is hilly and marshy most of the time, but the driveway is paved and often more icy than snowed. My dad, who has a similar LL with plow and heavier wieghts(and weighs 60 lbs more himself) often has trouble plowing with his 4 link round chains/turfs. Claw chains are a significant improvement.

I run ags without chains on the one with the plow -- because spinning is inevitable when pushing and I don't want to scuff the driveway more than I already do... I run turfs and 2-link chains on the one with the snowblower, because I don't need the "pushing power" that causes spinning. I agree that you must use the more expensive 2-link chains (not the 4-link type) to use chains on ags, or most of the crosslinks will simply end up down between the lugs of the tire...

yep on the 2 link chains. I've used both 2 nd 4 linkers, and dont even bother with the 4 linkers anymore. Those are all in the weight box on my loader tractor:D