Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
donmoore1904

Planning to install 1690045 rear lift kit on 7010

donmoore1904
I found a good thread here from last year that describes the differences between the 1690404 (7000 and 7010 series) and 1690045 (3400 series), but I have a question about installation that I don't see described in the instructions I found for the 1690045. My question regards a possible change in the spring for the clutch/brake lever. On both my 3410 (donor of the kit) and my 7010 (target) the clutch/brake lever has three holes. On the 3410, there is what appears to be a wire guide for the cable in the top hole, and a short spring that goes down to a bracket attached with the top bolt of the side plate into the tranny. On the 7010, there is a long, larger diameter spring from the top hole all the way back to the bracket where the seat pan attaches. My question is, do I have to switch to the short spring setup? It doesn't look like cable would interfere with the long spring it would be parallel to. As far as the wire guide, I can't tell how functional it was or if it is intended to be there (it is a broken stub right now) I don't have an exploded view of the 1690045. Thanks for any help!

PhanDad
Can't help you with your questions since I don't have any experience moving a rear lift on the earlier tractors. However, on pg 24 of this manual you'll find the exploded parts diagram for the 1600045 rear lift kit: http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8aoJ2rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq Hope it helps.

donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
on pg 24 of this manual you'll find the exploded parts diagram for the 1600045 rear lift kit:
That's great Bill. The wire guide actually looks like what I have, though mine has a buggered end I thought had broken off. My gut feeling is I need to switch to the short spring. I took a picture of the 3410 setup prior to disassembly so I don't forget, and will put the parts on the shelf for assembly prior to the winter. Another thing I notice is that the hitch appears a little different than mine. I think there were two styles with slightly different arm lengths. I have been stymied by abnormal wear on the 3410 tranny case at the back top from the cable end bracket getting pulled into it. I need to resolve this prior to installation on the 7010. Thanks for the link!