Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 6211 transaxle removal

normlsparky

I was wondering if anyone knows how to drop the transaxle on a Simplicity 6211. It has the variable 3 speed manual transmission. The sheet metal surrounds the right hand axle tube, so I'm assuming the axle must be pulled so it can slide out the hole in the sheet metal. The shifter shaft coming out of the trans broke where the shift linkage attaches to it. It looks like the entire transaxle must be disassembled to replace the part. I'll have to wait until after the weekend to call for a service manual, and unfortunately the tech manual website is down. I'd like to drop the transaxle this weekend if I can figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Shane, Welcome to our little asylum. Get the model number off your tractor and go here, http://www.simplicitymfg.com and click on "Manuals" and go from there. 1690448 might be the one. There should be a breakdown of the transaxle there that you can look at to get a better idea of what you're looking at. Now I remember. Just unbolt the right side first, then undo the hanger on the left side and the tranny should drop out of the frame to the left.

Tim is right. I have an A/C T-811 that is the same as the 6211. I had to do the same thing last year when my input shaft snapped. I downloaded the complete manual for the tractor from simplicity. Good luck John

Hi, You may be able to replace the shifter finger with out removing the trany. The ball is surrounded by two half bushings with the ball in the center. I believe this can be pulled and a new finger installed by using a slide hammer and a hammer and piece of pipe to install it. Seems like I did one of these in something about 15 years ago. IF not, if the wheels are removed there should be a plate over one axle hsg and this should allow the axle and trany to drop down and the other axle housing should slide out through the hole. Al Eden

Thanks for all the info. I found the parts manual on the Simplicity site link that was provided. It took a while to find it since I couldn't read one of the numbers on mt ID tag. My number is 1690927 for the 6211. Looks very similar to 1690448 for the 6100. I'm going to look over the exploded parts diagram tonight and check it out tomorrow. Thanks again.

OK, I managed to completely remove the transaxle assembly from the tractor and now have it sitting on the workbench in my garage. I've tried to remove the shifter shaft, but I've had no luck. The bracket on the end of the shaft that connects to the shifter linkage is broken off and I can't get a slide hammer type tool to connect to it. I've tried to grab what's left of the shaft with a vice grips and beat on it with a hammer. Still no luck. It doesn't want to budge. I noticed that there was some leakage from where the two halves of the gear case mate up. I'm thinking that the gasket may need replacement. Since I have it on the bench, is separating the gear housing to replace the gasket a major deal? Would separating the case make it easier to remove/replace the shifter shaft? Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.