Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bowhunt4life

Briggs 23D Carb/Fuel/Running Issue??

bowhunt4life
Okay I need help. I have a 64 landlord with a Briggs 23D. With the help of a mechanic friend we rebuilt the carb and cleaned the fuel tank. We put everything back together and the Landlord ran great. Have cut the yard with it a few times already. Today I was doing the same routine, mowing the lawn with my Landlord and mowing the ditches with the Craftsman. In the middle of mowing the lawn, the tractor acted like it ran out of gas. I check the tank and 3/4 full. I had to choke the tractor to keep it running. Then I let it idle. It would idle fine and loose power, backfire a couple times and then idle back up to full power then backfire and loose power. To me it seems like a fuel issue, but the carb was rebuilt and ran fine for three mowings. the fuel line has a shot off valve and i turn that on and off when not in use, two fuel filters. I tried adjusting the carb with no luck. Now I am letting it sit, my mechanic buddy thought it could be a coil overheating. Any suggestions on what it could be or how I might fix the issue? Thanks, Chris

sammiefish
Well, it maybe if it starts and runs fine after cooling it might point further to the overheating coil... if you had a spare you could swap it out while still hot and see if it runs... but the choking seems to point to fuel starvation... did you look at the plug?... does it look like you are running lean... or or rich? are you puffing smoke when it sputters... what color is the smoke... blue, black, or white? or could something have let go in the fuel line and clogged the first filter

Willy
Check to make sure you have a good tight fit at the manafold, sometimes the gaskets flaten out letting the bolts loosen. If you take the fuel line loose at the carb do you get a good flow?? There's a screen filter in the tank and sometimes they plug up. If that's what it is you can take the shutoff that's on the bottem of the tank off,or blow air back through the line and it will clean up or be blown off. If you are running a inline filter you don't need the one in the tank anyway. Keep it simple check the cheep stuff first. Good luck Jim

bowhunt4life
Okay, becoming a member to this site was the best $10 I have ever spent! I never took shop in school, can change my oil rotate the tires and change the plugs but that is about it. Sooooo I took the fuel line off, it was a trickle so I use some air and flushed the line. Bam the motor fired up, black smoke puffing away, as a result of my earlier attempts to adjust the carb. I tightened up the main jet, adjusted the rpms and she hums! No smoke and finished mowing the yard. You guys rock! Thanks a lot I truly appreciate this site and it members! Chris

rm
in the fuel tank theres a brass screen. that clogs. try taking the fuel line off. if you dont have good flow it may be clogged. I use my compressor very low psi (hand pump works too) to blow air in the line toward the carb. To clean the filter. Try that first. you can remove the screen and place a in line fuel filter. on the hose. i get mine at ace hardware i like the clear ones you can see whats going on and when its dirty fuel line is 1/4 in i belive If theres rust in the tank remove it. let it dry so theres no vapors. place some nuts and bolts in it shake it around to get all the rust out rinse with fuel,