Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7018 Kohler OVH

RickS

Hi, I was using my 7018 with a OVH Kohler to fill potholes in my road. Pick up a load of gravel in my Johnny bucket and while doing that the motor changed its tone. The exhaust noise was noticeably louder. I checked the muffler and noticed no holes. Power on the motor was way down. At times the motor seemed to backfire. I barely made it back to the house. I looked the motor over and did not see any holes in the block, or any oil leaks. I did check the oil it is fine. It will stall if I ask the motor to do raise the empty bucket and move forward at the same time. Can you give me some ideas to try. thanks Rick.........

Im thinking some crud got dislodged in the fuel system I've noticed when pushing leaves with mine. I clog the fuel drain on the tank due to rust. Check the fuel flow before the filter & after the filter. if you have a metal tank Can u reach the carb while driving? try to raise the bucket and move forward using a can of starting fluid. if it works fine with the fluid its fuel.

quote:
Originally posted by rm
Im thinking some crud got dislodged in the fuel system I've noticed when pushing leaves with mine. I clog the fuel drain on the tank due to rust. Check the fuel flow before the filter & after the filter. if you have a metal tank Can u reach the carb while driving? try to raise the bucket and move forward using a can of starting fluid. if it works fine with the fluid its fuel.
I've always been of the understanding that starting fluid , or ether is not a good thing to use in/on small engines and should not be used. Anyhow, Rick, as suggested above the valves and head should probably be checked. This is what I understand to be the "weak spot" on these engines.

Thanks All, I hope it is a valve and not something more serious. I am with you Sam, I never use starting fluid on my small engines. I have heard if you are using starting fluid and the motor backfires that could be the end of the motor. Guess I need to take the heads off and see what I find. thanks Rick........

Maynard, I was guessing you dropped the "s", but I wanted to make sure. I will try two new sparkplugs. It happened real quick one second it was running fine and the next it was having trouble and the tone of the motor changed. thanks Rick......