Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Split rail fence.

rsnik

Started on a split rail fence today. The Sovereign 18 and the Bobcat work together so well it they are a perfectly matched pair.

Excellent action shots!! Looks like a good way to spend the weekend to me. That bobcat looks like a nice piece of machinery as well ......

Had to change plans because of Tropical Storm Earl arriving as we speak. I dumped another couple yards of loam, skimmed off piles of stored loam with really huge weeds on the pile as I thought the high fiber content in the loam would help. The rain bands came in and I had to quit working with the Bobcat 250 as the slick conditions were too dangerous. I ended up doing all the work with the Sovereign 18 with the 46" springer blade. Granted the loam was freshly dumped and it was periodically, pouring rain but I was astonished at how the tractor could get work done. The tractor has some very old, but still good, Sears aggy tires that I am sure you are familiar with, off of some old tractor I bought, along with chains. No weights. No action pics, just the results.

I built up that wide, level area on top and the steep embankment with roughly a hundred of yards of fill and about 30 yards of loam. There used to be a lawn there with a gentle slope. They have a shrub planting out here on the Atlantic coast called a beach rose that is used to hold steep sand dunes. It is very hardy, low maintenance and perfect for holding that steep, sandy embankment. Here is a pic below. It's called beach rose or rosa rugosa.

The pic shows just one big shrub, but if you plant a bunch of them they turn into a big dense hedge, ideal for extra large planting areas. I got a deal on a bunch of them. I put the split rail fence down low so the beach rose hedge can fall back on it and keep it off the driveway. Also I was able to dig into solid ground instead of loose fill and loam down low with the backhoe. The pics don't show it but I dig a big hole with the backhoe, use a couple bags of sack crete to pinch the post so I can set the height and level it. Then I back fill and tamp with reprocessed asphalt, which compacts really well (got a deal on 50 tons of asphalt and 140 yards of loam back in June). I push a little dirt on top which the pics show. You can kick those posts and they don't budge. Up higher, in the loose dirt, probably not so much. The berm is just to keep this storm from washing the embankment out and why I am up long past my bed time. It is not looking so good. The grading was intended to both keep the water from flowing over the bank and also to get drainage going down the length and not form a lake that could breach the berm. I am getting a get a lake in a bad place.

The lake was getting very close to breaching the berm. The first pic shows the water line, but the water level looked closer to breaching to me when I was out there last night at about 2:30 AM. I was just setting to with a shovel when it went from pouring rain to starry night in a about a minute; when that storm cleared out it did so in a big hurry. Back to fence building today:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Tom45
    • maxwood
    • PhanDad
    • Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts