Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Counterweight for snowblower?

OrangeMetalGuy

Mounted the snowblower on my 716H yesterday to check the fit. I also have to measure for the right belt size and test it out. That blower sure is heavy... can I hang a counterweight on the back? I have the rear lift. But I think if I add a weight there, that's just going to add to what has to be lifted instead of counterbalancing it. Is there some way to reverse the action to allow a counterweight?

Scott, check to see if you can set the pin on the jackshaft so they work to help. The other thing you can do is get a heavy spring, jack the blower up as much as you can and connect a heavy spring...that way when you lower it the spring is loaded and it will feel lighter...

Don't know about your tractor, but on my B112 I hang a weight on the three point hitch. That works great, also puts more weight on the rear wheels. Oz

They made an adapter to fit the rockershaft of the 716 that would reverse the direction that the rear lift moves. I made a few and sold them. I only sold about five, so it wasn't worth my time to make them. If you want to make your own, I think I still have a copy of a writeup that I sent to a couple of other folks. I could email it to you if you send your address. The pictures are too large to send through the site.

The other way would be to swap the whole lift shaft assembly for a later one from a 7100/900 series. Then follow the re-routing directions found in the 38" HD Tiller manual. I did that on my 716-6 speed. Really made using the Jonny bucket easier, when it was counter balanced.