Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new sunstar just locked up?

snag

Hello guys Just picked up 89 sunstar yesterday, way pumped finally got a big lawn tractor. got it home and went thur the whole owners manual on maintaince. Changed the oil and added 10w 30 wt. Went out to mow this afternoon 85 deg with a breese. Mowed for 10 min and started to loose power and then it quit, very abrutptlly(sp) let sit for 30 min, oil level is ok but top of the 16 hp kohler magnum is still hot to the touch. There is a plastic fan blade on the driveshaft at the rear of the tractor, should there be one as well where the foam surrounds the driveshaft in front of the battery? It started back up relucntly with no smoke and seemed to run sound ok. My thought is I overheated. Any ideas whats up, or what to look at. I am really bummed right now as I thought I got a good machine. thanks mike

no sense in getting too bummed before you check it out. there are lots of simple things it could be. i would check the gas cap vent and make sure it's open(you can just leave the cap loose to see if the problem stops), make sure the fuel flow is sufficient and the float needle isn't sticking closed, put in new spark plugs, and maybe a condenser and see if that helps. i'm sure that i'm probably missing some other easy things to check. i would think a normally running engine would still be hot a half hour later also.

Hi, This is NOT your problem, but the 16 magnums call for straight 30 oil. 10/30 can't stand the heat around the exhaust area of the cylinder. It has no points or condenser, but electronic ignition. Check for spark as soon as it dies. Sounds like a vaporlock situation to me. I would check the cylinder fins for grass or mouse nests, also that the transmission cooler is not clogged. These tractors get all of the cooling air from the hood, down through the trans oil cooler and to the flywheel. All sources of air are blocked so the engine only gets cool clean air at hood level. Be sure you are running straight gasoline (plain regular) NOT GASOHOL. Al Eden

Thanks much for the replies, I can/couldnt find any oil info except here a found a chart showing 10w-30 good for all temp range. I will get some 30w today. I checked the top of the motor cooling fins and they are ok, I had the foam ring off and blew that out as well,but will need to check the flywheel out. As far as the gas goes, I filled it up with new gas but Im sure its a 10 percent ethanol blend. Ill keep you posted.

I have found that I have better success running premium gas as its the only one in our area that doesn't have the 10% ethanol. The best thing you can do is get the manuals if you have the model number. Guys here are always a big help too.

Checkd the flywheel fans and they are clean. Changed oil again to straight 30w and topped off the gas with reg gas. Mowed for 10-15 min today with no enginge problems. So feeling better today. Did notice gear lube on top of the mower deck pully so I think my gear box may need some attention as well.