Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bought another

Chris727

For several years now my parents were thinking they needed a zero turn. With all three of us working full time it had become impossible to cut with the FDT's in a reasonable amount of time. My parents decided to get a Ferris from a Simplicity dealer in IL. I had dealt with them for years buying used parts. While test driving the new mower I spotted another machine out of the corner of my eye. I ended up buying it. First here is Dad on his new mower.

The next machine I bought goes against the grain of everything I've learned on this site. Yes it's a 75th anniversary Sovereign with yes the "dreaded" "toilet motor" TH18 overhead cam kohler.

It needs a good cleanup. It will run for a few seconds if you clean the plugs but then dies, but the plugs don't appear fouled. It looks like this is one of the few triad engines that made it past the first few hundred hours, by its looks I'd say it has 400 or more on it. Came with Super Lugs that were too wide and rubbed the cone clutch. They will be removed and put on another machine. I think most of the chrome and the paint will clean up. I must really have a problem, when I picked up the 75th the guy at the dealer was telling the kids from the shop about how I have about as many tractors at home as they have on thier lot.

Yeah I'm beyond the point of needing a bigger shed.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Better than tarps... Get 55 gallon drums and start setting them up to support the corners of pick up truck toppers:D A guy down the road from me has about 50 toppers lined up snaking around his yard. Anywhere from 2 to 4 tractors under each one. You could be yet another Jeff foxworthy Redneck jokedOd

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Yeah I'm beyond the point of needing a bigger shed.
You got it bad alright (or good depending on your view) :D:D

Great pickup. The sheet metal looks to be in good shape - it should clean up nice. If you're thinking of restoring the seat to stock, contact me. I'm not going to use the stock seat on my 75th and it's in much better shape. I have a hilly property, and IMO, you sit too high on the 7100 series tractors (compared to the 7000's) and with the 75th seat, you're even higher.

Thanks guys, I do have tarps for them and they're parked on concrete most of the time. I'm actually planning on selling the 6216, 5010, and a yard machines. Bill, I'll be contacting you about the seat, even my armrests are gone and you can't get the gray seat from Simplicity anymore.

"you sit too high on the 7100 series tractors (compared to the 7000's) and with the 75th seat, you're even higher." Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like the high seats on the last Sovereigns.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
"you sit too high on the 7100 series tractors (compared to the 7000's) and with the 75th seat, you're even higher." Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like the high seats on the last Sovereigns.
Whenever I sit on any tractor with a high seat that has some slop in the mounting, I always think of those Weebles toys from the 70's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq0OQBdIhsc Weebles trivia The 70's TV adverts and other advertising for Weebles featured the catchy and lasting phrase "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!", a phrase which has been reused as a lyric by a band called Lawnmower Deth in their song of the same name!

Hey Chris Why dont you take that sign out of the shed and put on a post at the drive: Looks better than some dealer lots to me!