Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Foot Dragger PTO question

SmilinSam

Being mostly FDT illiterateXX(, I need to know how much play is there supposed to be side to side on the pully shaft? I ripped apart 4 PTO's to glean the least worn parts to make 1 good unit for my 2012 hybrid. Some had no shim washers, some had one and one had two. How many of those are there supposed to be?

You need as many as it takes to bring them flush with the side of the BGB case. The side plates of the tractor, where the BGB bolts to, will keep the seals and bearings seated in their races. Too few and they may work outward and leak.

Wrong end.....B) I'm talking about the shaft5 on the center PTO that hangs under the tractor and drives a mower deck or sickle mower;)

Based on the Repair Manual, it looks like the number of washers depends on which model it is:

The parts breakdown for my early B-110 PTO shows a total of 2 washers, one on each side.

Well BoB... the 3 I took apart didnt need feeler gauges..sm008) They had 1/4", 3/16", and 1/8" of slop respectively8 I would figure it should be something better than 1/8" wouldnt you?

The important part is that the pulleys and idlers all lie in a straight line so that the belt runs true. Use whatever number of washers it takes to make this happen. I found out long ago that you cannot take these manuals as absolute gospel.

quote:
Originally posted by joelk
Is there anythiing special about those spacers, or can I use just any old washer with the correct diameter?
The washer on the side that the shaft is welded to the drive pulley is just a plain washer. the ones on the take off side with the keyed end of the shaft are special cut with a notch to go around the key.

• 1 year later...
Put the 48" deck on the 3210v today and the pto must be messed up.It's one of those that has the W belt setup.Don't know if it's normal on a new belt to see this much wear dust. [IMG]http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/locknut-1/Simplicity%203210V/002-1.jpg[/IMG] The pulley shaft has around 3/16" side to side slop and I assume that is what's causing the wear,and the heat(too hot to touch after running 5 min). It has the 3 washers as the pic shows.I moved the one from the right side over to the left side,lining up the pullies better on the BGB drive side.Now I don't know how many I need on the right side.How far should the double pulley be from the bracket? [IMG]http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/locknut-1/Simplicity%203210V/006-1.jpg[/IMG]

That belt dust is from the boxed in guide. Al Eden said to trash that. Do a forum look. Smilin Sam posted something similar a couple of weeks ago.

Got it back together.The washers are easy to get in different thicknesses from McMaster-Carr-7/8 x 1-3/8 OD. I guess all that slop/wear was the inner hubs on both pullies and the 3 washers.Took the belt guard off.