Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

725 blowing oil out the grill

MPH
Went to till a friends "garden spot" yesterday which was really bolder field, cantalope size buried in clay. When I was done I noticed I had oil dripping down the grill. It's blowing along the head cooling fins. Thinkin must be the main seal going bye-bye. Any other likely leak points that would blow out there? Might be time to do the overhaul it needed when I got it, hate to now as I don't have the to paint the whole tractor while I have it half apart. Thanks for any Ideas. MPH

JimDk
Martin,It sounds like your first diagnosis is probably right.Flat head engines don't have any top end oiling. The stress of tilling has likely hammered out your main bearing and seal on the flywheel side.Other posts here say that tilling is very hard on parts,especially the bevel gear box.The shock of the tines hitting rocks travels up the drive train.Good Luck. Jim

carter
MPH, Jim is probably right on with his comments. The only other source of oil is the breather on the crank case. It is right behind the grill. The connection to the carb had been removed in a previous life. I had a lot of blow-by on the Big Ten and it had a well oiled grill when I bought it. The fix for either problem is not real pleasant 'cause the first step is remove the engine. Good luck. Ron

MPH
Mine dosn't have a hose to the carb, instead it has crankcase breather gismo like ole farm tractors had. Maybe I'll go back to tillin rocky stuff with that sears 8 horse I rad hangin on the back last year.. thanks..MPH