Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another Magnetron Q

timflury

Hi guys, I recently became the owner of a 243431 engine. I'm tearing it down for paint and upgrades. I'm installing a Magnetron upgrade kit and the instructions tell me to install the coil with the rivet heads out. This is opposite of the way it was in there before, but I'm ok with that. Do I need to send the flywheel out to get repolarized?? I kinda chuckled because I called tech support and was put on hold TWICE and then hung up on after a TWENTY minute wait.

So, I posted a message about this in the Yahoo Briggs and Stratton group. Here's the answers that I got. Timothy, This has been a problem among many owners of this breed of engines. You cannot just retrofit a MAGNETRON ignition coil to any of these engines made prior to August 1, 1981 (code 8108011). This can only be done on engines with external ignitions, which are models 19D, 23C, 23D, 193400, 200400, 233400, 243430, 300420, 301430, 302430, 320420, 325430 and 326430. Briggs & Stratton's 1982 Update Seminar (form #MS-7865-10/81) actually makes mention of guidelines on retrofitting the MAGNETRON system. Because of the flywheel magnet polarity and ignition armature design, you cannot switch over to the MAGNETRON unless both the original flywheel and ignition armature are changed out, and that due to the price of these parts (particularly the flywheel), retrofitting of these engines may not be economical. The replacement flywheel is also fragile and must be carefully handled/installed, and a lot of inept repairmen were known to have reversed the polarity of the flywheel magnets. You also cannot use the MAGNETRON with the original ignition armature on the twin-cylinder engines, again, manufactured before code 81080112 (or whenever the earliest Magnetron-equipped Twin II's began showing up; some were assembled in June 1981). On those early engines, change to the #394891 ignition armature to accommodate the MAGNETRON coil. ~Ben Never heard of such a thing does the engine start and run okay? Jerrie collecting antique garden equipment in NW Illinois "Jerrie is quite knowledgeable with most Briggs engines." A gentleman named Ed Stoller posted these images. Is this what the kit looks like?

Ed Stoller New Fairfield, CT, USA Again, the instructions tell you to install the coil the opposite way it shows in the drawing shown.

From what I understand, any of the more modern iron Briggs - say mid 1960's up to 1980, can be converted. The flywheel MUST be repolarized to work with a Magnetron coil. I guess I don't know about the trigger add on kit as pictured above - never used one. The polarity is N-S-N on one style, and S-N-S on the other supposedly. I learned the hard way - took and engine out of a B112, swapped coils and it would only spit and sputter and backfire. Found out that Briggs would repolarize for free - just have to ship it there. I have upgraded a couple engines since then - I would never go back to points! Tim

Tim(s); The issues with the Magetron conversion module (in the previous Ed Stoller pics) on the cast iron singles (built before 7/31/81) is that the coil must be flipped around so the rivet heads are facing the blower housing. So doing this makes the plug wire too short and it will need to be extended/replaced with a longer one. I don't know if it can be unscrewed from the center post like many Prestolite/Wico coils and simply replaced; you other Briggs experts may know. Also, as the prior post references, the flywheel magnets need to be re-polarized for the Magnetron to work correctly. I wonder how much longer B & S will still offer this "free" service going forward. Tom (PK)

• 3 weeks later...
I just got my flywheel back from Briggs today for repolarizing.I put on my 10HP(243431) on work bench and tried it work great. I am going to start converting all my old cast iron Briggs over as long as Briggs will fix Flywheels.I was really shocked with the shipping I sent it last Thursday and already back today and I am in Florida.

Nick, Was there any special instructions or details that you had to provide for the techs at Briggs?? Did the spark plug wire reach ok?? Did you snap any pictures of the install? Did you buy a new coil, or did you just do the upgrade like in the pics above?

I put a brand new coil with magnetron built in it.I think they are same price as points anymore. I put the new coil on because I am not planning on taking these engines apart anytime soon.The new coil will install like the old coil and its marked engine side to. The only thing Briggs wants is model,type,and code and a return address.Go to post office and get the priority box and they have one that's fits flywheels perfect. I just sent another flywheel in today. nick

Thank you Bob, I was searching for that thread, but never found it. I'm almost done stripping paint and rust. I will be picking up the coil and gasket set today from Jerry Sergio. You won't recognize the engine after I'm finished with it. I'll even post some "during" and "after" pictures.