Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear axle R&R

donmoore1904

I posted about a month ago about "slop" in my 7010 3-speed tranny when transitioning over uneven ground. There is little lash in the BGB, maybe 3 degrees. I noticed in gathering evidence since then that I can rotate the brake cam about 90 degrees before I feel resistance from the axle. It was suggested I look at the keyways in the axle. I just started, and here is what I see so far. I pulled the wheel on the side with the differential. Then I pulled the collar off, and slid the hub/gear assembly out of the differential. I can see the large gear with two keyways inside the differential, and as I move the opposite hub, I can see evident movement in both opposing key areas. There is about 7 degrees of lash due to the keyway looseness. It looks like the keys themselves are moving. 7 degrees didn't seem like much, but as I write is occurs to me that is a fair amount at the circumference of the tire, maybe 1-1/2 to 1-3/4". It seems like a "no brainer" that there should not be movement there. My first question is two-fold. Is this likely to cause the symptom, and how hard might this be to fix? Also, I don't honestly see the next steps to disassembly, or how complicated this may get. In the transmission itself it looks like the gear that drives the "axle tube" also has two opposing keyways. Could these be bad too? How do I get the differential off to access the area that appears to be worn? In the tranny exploded view, they show the "axle tube" but apparently not the axle - is the shaft I see through the diffy inside of the axle tube? In the tractor manual, it shows the diffy mounts on the "axle assembly," which appears to be a smaller solid shaft with the axle tube outside of it, like the solid shaft I see coming out of the diffy. Does the inner shaft come out (in anticipation of the keyways being shot)? Can anyone help me visualize this ? I guess I need to figure out if the gear and/or shaft are shot, to determine how to proceed. I have another similar back end I believe is in better shape. I would like to fix this one if it isn't a horrible job. Thanks for reading, and any input! Don

You need to loosen the collar on the left side of the axle tube, then using a rubber hammer pound the axle shaft to the right side of the tractor. This will allow enough of the shaft to extend out of the tube to remove the snap ring, thus allowing you to disassemble the rest. You'll have to check the tube to see if it's cracked or the keyways are really wallowed out. Usually the tube cracks first.

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
You need to loosen the collar on the left side of the axle tube, then using a rubber hammer pound the axle shaft to the right side of the tractor. This will allow enough of the shaft to extend out of the tube to remove the snap ring, thus allowing you to disassemble the rest. You'll have to check the tube to see if it's cracked or the keyways are really wallowed out. Usually the tube cracks first.
Scott - I can't believe someone read that long post, and so quickly. I believe I see the snap ring you mention, retaining the large gear inside the differential. So I tap from axle from the other side of the tractor after removing that hub, to push the snap ring out for removal. This ring appears to be shown in the differential inset as pn 21. Can I tap the axle the full inch or so needed to fully access the snap ring? It is buried down in there. I assume the differential then pulls off, leaving me with the axle inside of the axle tube, and most everything visible for inspection. Thanks again. Don

Yup. You can probably move it 2-3" towards the right side. Plenty of room to remove the diff. However - (and I say this with some experience) - before you pull the diff off, lay a towel along the bottom side of the differential, between the bottom of the axle and the differential (small area). You do not want those keys to drop into the differential.

OK, tap the shaft to the right to allow the ring to be removed, pull the diff off carefully. Looking ahead, I am guessing the major things that could be bad. Axle (keyways) Large gear in diff (keyways) Axle tube (cracked, keyways) Differential Carrier (keyways) Am I on the right track? Axle tube drives the diff carrier, planetary gears drive the two wheels via the large diff gear (left wheel) and the gear attached to the right hub? Thanks for the help!

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
Yup. Take it apart, wipe it down a little and send pics. I will PM you with my email address.
Thanks Scott. By the way, if needed does the axle tube come out without splitting the tranny? :O The astute observer will recall that in the beginning I stated I had no interest in fixing this issue. The darned tractor runs so well otherwise I have to at least try. I got some OEM wheel weights I would like to add, but don't want to increase the stress on the back end (I have a mostly inclined property).

Once you get the gear keys and ring off the shaft, the shaft can then be pulled out the left side of the tractor. If the hub and collar have been removed from the left side, the axle can be taken out either side.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Once you get the gear keys and ring off the shaft, the shaft can then be pulled out the left side of the tractor. If the hub and collar have been removed from the left side, the axle can be taken out either side.
Yes I see the axle will come out. I am wondering about the axle tube. It appears the axle tube drives the differential. Scott had pointed out the tube may be in trouble, and I was anticipating how deep the pile of doo will be if that is true.

OK, I figured out how this goes together now that I have it apart [:p[sm02] What I fouund so far is the keys in the axle show signs they have been moving. They required a screwdriver to gently pry them out, but they were not loose. The keys in the axle tube, eh, not so lucky. One rotates side to side about 15 to 20 degrees, if you see what I mean. The other about half that. The keys themselves don't look bad, but the keyways are. So, I am thinking the axle tube has to come out. I have not inspected the keyways in the diff gear yet. Any pearls of wisdom on splitting the tranny to remove the tube? Thanks again!