Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Has anyone used a Stens Overhaul Kit?

dmartin95

I have a 6216 with a 16HP Briggs and Stratton. It's model and type is 402707 0145-01. It seems a little underpowered because of the tractors age, I'm thinking a rebuild is in order. To my suprise, I learned Briggs and Stratton doesn't sell overhaul kits, only short blocks. So I found a an aftermarket manufactured by Stens. It's kit # 785-290. However, I'm a bit leary of using non-OEM parts and was wondering if any of the users of this board has used a Stens Kit and what has their results been? I have found it at a way better price, but here's a link to the kti: http://www.m-and-d.com/ST-785-290.html

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/ Go here and find your manuals, both operation and parts, and either order your parts directly from them, or you local authorized service center. They don't sell "Overhaul kits", They DO have gasket sets and carb rebuild kits and any other part for your engine that might be worn out. They will sell you a .020 oversized piston and rings if you need to bore the cylinder out. They also have a .005 oversized wrist pin as well.

I assume you were looking on Ebay. Those kits are adequate and have good quality and I have used them before with good results. Before you buy anything measure the cylinders to determine if they have to be bored. Stens does have .010 pistons so that is a big plus

Yes, I came across them on ebay but then used google to find them on the web at a lower price. I know that Briggs recommends OEM parts but really it's no different than going into an Auto-Parts retailer and buying non-OEM/aftermarket.... And yes, I'm going to have the block checked out by a local machine shop... I'm hoping that I can use original tolerances and don't need to bore over. I'm hoping honing will do.... But really, I will not know more until the block is inspected. Right now I'm just trying to look into the cost of rebuild vs buying a new motor. As we all know, this troubled economy we're in requires saving every dime we can, that's why I was hoping to get by with aftermarket parts.

quote:
Originally posted by dmartin95
Yes, I came across them on ebay but then used google to find them on the web at a lower price. I know that Briggs recommends OEM parts but really it's no different than going into an Auto-Parts retailer and buying non-OEM/aftermarket.... And yes, I'm going to have the block checked out by a local machine shop... I'm hoping that I can use original tolerances and don't need to bore over. I'm hoping honing will do.... But really, I will not know more until the block is inspected. Right now I'm just trying to look into the cost of rebuild vs buying a new motor. As we all know, this troubled economy we're in requires saving every dime we can, that's why I was hoping to get by with aftermarket parts.
I haven't had much experience with this series of Briggs engines as far as a rebuild would be concerned but I did a Kohler KT17 a few months ago. It required a re bore at .010 and the crank had to be reground. No after market parts were available so the high priced OEM ones were used including connecting rods. Some of the OEM parts were found on Ebay at bargain prices but for the most part I had to get new ones at close to retail prices. Even so costs were below $500 which is far lower than a replacement engine. Also I know based on the hour meter that this engine should give me another 1500 hours of service so in my opinion a rebuild is the best way to go especially when you have a proven engine to start with like your Briggs.

Interesting, as thinking my 6216, same engine, from 81 will be due for a rebuild next year. First time running this tractor, so no benchmark. But will have the 42" blower on it soon, so should know more. Thinking spring for final vote for me.

I bought a Stens throttle cable for my B 110 for about $ 24 and it no longer locked in position after only 1 year Real Junk! I since had to pay $48 for an Allis Chalmers to replace the 1 year old cable from Stens.

quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie_A
I bought a Stens throttle cable for my B 110 for about $ 24 and it no longer locked in position after only 1 year Real Junk! I since had to pay $48 for an Allis Chalmers to replace the 1 year old cable from Stens.
Thats funny, I bought a Stens cable and it seemed much heavier duty than the Oregon cables I had been buying. I think there are a couple of grades of the twist locks and they most likely are all made by only one or two companies. They are now NLA through Simplicity.