Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7790 engine oil?

THEPATRIOT

What oil are you guys who have these using?The owners manual says do NOT use a multi viscosity oil.I was wondering why not?Also,what about synthetics in this engine?

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
Don't you have the owners and parts manuals for your tractors? If not GET THEM. And run a search for info like we do.
I did a search for 7790 engine oil,and got NOTHING!

Engine was delevoped roughly 25 years ago by an Italian company. At that time straight weight oil was recommended. Download 1690890 operators manual and go to page 20. There it recommends 5W, 10W, 20W and 40 CD or series 3(very high detergent) oil depending on what ambient you are working in. They also mention to NOT use multi - vis oils. That is or was very common in Europe at one time. Other guys can chime in their experiences or give you an updated bulletin from engine mfg.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Engine was delevoped roughly 25 years ago by an Italian company. At that time straight weight oil was recommended. Download 1690890 operators manual and go to page 20. There it recommends 5W, 10W, 20W and 40 CD or series 3(very high detergent) oil depending on what ambient you are working in. They also mention to NOT use multi - vis oils. That is or was very common in Europe at one time. Other guys can chime in their experiences or give you an updated bulletin from engine mfg.
I read that also,i was just wondering if people are still running the same oil types?I know oil technology has come a long way since then.Thanks

I bought a 7790 new in 1985. That tractor today has over 5000 hours on it and is still running strong on the original engine and has never been apart and all that was run in it was synthetic oil, the last 10 years mobil 1 0-40 diesel grade. It would always start at - 30 degrees with no problems.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
I bought a 7790 new in 1985. That tractor today has over 5000 hours on it and is still running strong on the original engine and has never been apart and all that was run in it was synthetic oil, the last 10 years mobil 1 0-40 diesel grade. It would always start at - 30 degrees with no problems.
Good advice. I'm also using Mobil 1 diesel oil, but I believe it's a 5w-40 oil. Don't begin to have 5000 hours on it as I only bought it last year with 820 hours on it.

I would like to add something to this oil thread. The Mobil 1 diesel 5w-40 oil, I use in my 7790, also has spark engine SM and SL ratings. It also has a lot more zinc than the newest oils------which is good for bearings and camshafts, but not so good for converters. Here is a link [url]http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf[/url] with more info on this oil (Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w-40). As a result, I use this oil in almost everything I own including my Explorer, motorhome, 917, Scag and so on. The only thing I don't use it in (I probably could) is my 2003 Corvette that calls for an oil meeting GM4718M spec. Makes life simple.