Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Strange Symtoms, Tractor dies going down hill

MarksA-C

Hey everyone. My 101 landlord has been working great (as always) but lately it will die on hills. Sometimes pulling up a hill and almost always when going down a hill. Won't sputter or loose power, but flat out die. I was thinking its either a damaged flywheel key or the carb is messed up. Going to tear into it and do the basics. Oil change, new spark plug, clean the carb and hopefully that might help out. I honestly don't know what it could be and I really need this thing to be ready to work before winter. Also 15 days left before my next tractor show. And info will be appreciated. Thank you

My Landlord did the same thing, only usually going up hill. Drove me nuts for awhile. Found the sparkplug lead had come off and would fall away from the plug while going uphill. Its really amazing how far the spark will jump, well something to check.

Ive had both. Electrical does seem more conclusive in this scenario. At least it is the cleanest to look for first(as I still smell like gas from earlier engine worksm00) Don't be afraid to check for other loose items that could randomly pinch the kill wire. My aunt had one where it had 3 bare spots in the kill wire but only when it was in a turn. The solution was to clip it and run new.

I had the same thing on my 212. I would drive it on flat ground and the tractor would purr, as soon as I went up and hill or down a hill it would just cut right out. We thought it was the carb. Went completely through it, found nothing and put it back on. Same thing again. Turns out the magneto was bad. What a pain to replace.

HI, I think there is a good chance you have a little water in the float bowl of the carb. Just unscrew the main jet assy. (Not just the needle, but the assy it is screwed into) from the carb. with the tractor headed slightly down hill. This will drain the float bowl water. When this happens the water, maybe a drop as small as a bb rolls around in the bottom of the float bowl and when it gets over the entrance to the main jet. It will act just like a cork. When the blobule rolls away it will run fine. I had a 63 Chev 6 cyl that used to do this all the time, same problem. If you have ever been around a farm, the old funnels used to have a fine brass screen in them. If there was water in the gas, if would collect on the screen because the surface tension of the water would not let it though. My old cemetary mowers used to have this problem and I would just drain the bottom of the float bowls and return mowing. Use extreme caution with the gas, NO SMOKING etc. Dispose of properly. Al Eden

Its working good now, decent enough anyway. I pulled the spark plug and replaced it and also made sure it had good spark, while tilting the tractor and what not. Then I pulled the valve from the carb and let it leak for a bit. Some orange crud came out :O Where the heck did that come from?? Put it all back together and its working better than ever. Thank you all for the input and tips on how to fix the problem

:O Mark. The orange crud was water and rust. Condensation in tank likely caused problem. I would drain tank and clean out to prevent further problems.dOd B10Dave.

Well now the dang thing is doing it again. Draining all the gas this time and going with new fresh clean and clear dinosaur go-go juice. Was working fine after I had drained the gas from the carb and let some new go in