Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelk

Locked Hub 3112H??

joelk

]What is tighted to 25 lb feet on the right hub for traction control? Is it the allen screws shown, or the square headed cap screw? My differential is totally locked and I am not sure why, thought I would loosen these up (once I know which one).

MikeES
The square headed cap screw is what is holding the collar in place. The allen socket head screws are the "limited slip" tightenen screws. If you differential is locked, that is a whole different problems then these allen screws.

joelk
Thanks Mike, I'm not really sure if the diff is locked, but I do know that both tires turn at the same speed making it hard to steer. I thought if those allen screws are too tight, that would be that cause, otherwise I have no idea.

HubbardRA
It is nearly impossible to tighten the screws enough to totally lock the rear, unless the screws have cut completely through the internal braking pads. It is more likely that someone has had the right hub and axle gear off and has put the spacer washers in the wrong place or put the gear on backward. Either way, the gear will mesh with both sets of spider gears in the diff and lock the rear. I actually used this technique for a while when I was tractor pulling.