Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Parts Diagrams

I noticed a question or two regarding parts diagrams for various tractors. My local Agco dealer parts manager has, on more than one occasion, copied pages off of his CD that has exploded views of anything. He printed me a diagram of the rear end of my 611LT (replacement of seals and bearings) and of my 1920 mower deck (belt replacement). Sure would be nice to get one of those CD's, eh?

Hi, Those CDs cost 240.00 per year plus 60.00 per yr for Simplicity, and every 3 months they run out and without the new code number from the vendor they die and you can't see them. We just put them in and for 9 vendors it costs us almost 1000.00 per year. If you still use micro-fiche for a back up it is from 25 to 50 per vendor on the average, Service schools cost from 20 to $50 per school plus the payroll and travel. The 5 day engine schools about 500. plus travel and payroll. In our shop we spend about 30 man days per year at service schools. I am not complaining, but when someone trades with us the benefits of this training are provided to our customers. In our local phone book a 2"X 1 column yellow page ad is 900.00 per yr, plus our share of the little trademark listings we are required to do is 280.00 per listing. One of the major Banks that floor plans equipment, Dec 1st sent notice to dealers that effective Jan 1 All transactions hda to be done on-line or to deal with a person would be a 50.00 per month service charge. I don't mean to be complaining, but when you visit your local dealer, your dollars go to feed a lot of other people in addition to him. Thanks to our customers we are able to meet these rrequirements. Just thought this might be interesting to some people. Thanks Al

Al, You sound like, "He ain't heavy, he's my brother." I used to feel the same way. But, guess what..? The customers, employees, government, suppliers, and professionals finally did get heavy, or I got weak.

Al, whoopee, we're all self employed, big bro lets you keep 37% of ALL that money you make as a bussiness man to pay for it all. better stop there.......MPH

Well, I kinda like being self employed cuz I only have to work HALF OF A DAY! That leaves me about 12 hours a day to eat, sleep, and play with my tractors. Aw, forget sleep, Right? Powermax_Paul

Paul, you sound like you have it figured out. It's when the business grows and you have to deal with all the employees, vendors, gubmint, etc, as Dutch mentioned, that it gets old fast. Right now I'm "between businesses". Had my midlife crisis and instead of getting a divorce and a Corvette, I sold most of my business and bought a run-down place in the country. I would not go back to running my 50-person "kindergarten" for anything. I now have only a couple of employees that I share with my brother's business. I plan to make do the rest of my life without employees. Once you have employees, the world of gubmint agencies, rules, lawyers, and acronyms descends like a pall on top of you. OSHA, COBRA, etc, you can have it. -Happier