Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

NO compression!!!

THEPATRIOT

I went to start my 101 tonight after cleaning a bit more.It sparks great and the tank is clean so i thought i'd be good to go.When i crank the engine(plug in and out)it spins VERY fast and has no compression at all.I can see a valve moving through the plug hole,not sure what one.I'm hoping it's just the other valve that's stuck???Off with the cylinder head tomorrow.

Do you have piston motion? Do you get excessive wiffing from the carburetor? I hope it is just an unseated valve. Otherwise it is your connecting rod:O

The engine rotates fine.It was deff. running good when parked.The guy i bought it from lives right down the street and wouldn't BS me.I'll find out what's going on with it tomorrow i hope!I really want to use it this winter.

Thats the sneaky thing. The rod being snapped usually makes the shaft spin really fast due to less drag. I bought one in my younger naive years thinking "wow it spins good".

If i wasn't so tired i'd go take the head off right now!Maybe this guy got this confused with another one,or maybe one of his kids broke it and didn't tell him...sm02

A note for the next time. People who throw or burn out rods have a tendency to fill the crankcase back up with oil after the damage is done. When I buy a new(to me) engine, I always remove the oil filler to look at the oil. If it is fresh oil, I start talking the price down if possible. Most folks do not try to sell an engine with fresh oil in the fill tube. Engines with dipsticks often have fresh oil on top of dirty oil. Those of you with shops can testify to this. This trick has saved me a bunch of money buying engines that "ran the last time we used it".

I'd bet on a stuck valve, could be a broken rod, but you would likely ear it striking something inside while it was turning, unless it was broken just above the throw on the shaft. You can easily check the rod by putting your finger over the plug hole. Even with a stuck valve, you should be able to feel exhaust and suction, though it is not enough to make it run

Try putting about an once of carb cleaner in the spark plug hole and let it set for awhile,if it's a stuck valve it may loosen up.It may save you tearing it down. Always do the easy stuff first.

Good news is the valves are free!Bad news is the piston doesn't move!!!sm02I can't complain,i ended up up with the tractor for free +$50- after selling the Gravely i bought with it.

Good news is the rod is a fairly easy job if you can get a hold of the manual( a good investment). Parts OEM are around 50 for the rod, less for Stens on Ebay. I have installed a few of them. Compared to the new engines, I could put a rod in the 10hp in my sleep. Just don't forget to emery cloth the old aluminum off the shaft. ...don't ask me how I learned that one:p