Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Help - Got Help and Fixed!!

joelk

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for the input. I finally understand how it works, which is kind of exciting (boring life I guess). As was suggested repeatedly, the axle gear was installed wrong. The axle gear was the offset style that the manual shows as a "later" style. This was installed with the offset toward the tranmission side, which raised the gear into the hub side spider. I flipped it over, cleaned it all up, everything looks to be in great shape, and put it back in and wala.. differential again. Looking forward to cutting the grass tonight. Thanks again for your help. I thought I had a good rear end on a 3212H (no leaks or cracks)until I realized that I have no differential action, the tires/axle are locked at the same speed. I tried loosening set screws on the right hub for traction control but that did not help. What could be causing this problem? I am not sure how this works so I need a better understanding. I have another rear end from a 3112H with a cracked axle tube. Is there a parts swap that could help?

Do you have any side to side play when you grab the rear of the tractor(unjacked)? If you do the differential gears could be cross-aligning and locking in place.

Yeah the axle gear (not sure of the correct term) could be in backwards or the spacers/washers aren't in right, allowing it to engage both sets of diff gears.

Look for some posts the Rhubbard has done. By putting the spacer washers on the wrong side of the gears, I'm pretty sure you create a locked rear. Maybe someone had your diff apart?

Only three problems that I have seen with locked up diffs like these that I have seen. One is as stated above, improper re-assembly. Two is a busted tooth or gear jamming up the workings. Three is as you thought, overtightened set lugs.

Many years ago a friend had his axle tube replaced at a dealer. Afterwards he did not like the way the tractor steered and it was tearing up the lawn. I told him it sounds like a locked diff. I opened the diff. and found it was assembled wrong from the dealer. A mistake easily made. I have had to rebuild many differentials (perks of tractor pulling) and I have to stop and think out the gear arrangement every time.sm00

Well, thanks for all your help, you got me steered in the right direction. Sam, you can add another scenario to your list... the previous owner left out the springs all together. I was waiting for this incredible tension to let loose and it never happened because there were no springs. Everything else looks good. Wait.... There is not supposed to be any springs in my differential according the the owners manual. I am confused. Aren't the pair of reversed gears suppose to clear each other. My two gears (4 sets) overlap each other by half a gear. I thought the upper gears worked independent of the lower gears. What am I missing. It appears to be put together just as the owners manual shows, but the pair (upper and lower gears) just overlap. Am I missing something obvious?

Your diff is apparently assembled correctly. The problem is most likely that the diff gear on the axle sits too far outward toward the right side hub gear. Check to make sure there is no more than one thin washer behind the diff gear and that the gear teeth sit toward the transmission. Put all other spacer washers outside the diff gear toward the right side hub. This should allow the diff to work properly. The diff gear has to sit inboard far enough that it will in contact the spider gears from the right side of the diff. Since the overlapped gears turn in opposite directions during a turn, the diff will be locked if the diff gear contacts both spider gears.