Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need sickle bar help

GWGAllisfan

I spent a little time Saturday setting up my B1 with the Sickle Bar mower I had bought last summer. After getting the right belt it was almost perfect, however I have two questions: 1. The sickle i have is the cable lift kind like used on later FDT's. I know the cable attaches to the lift arm, and have the bracket and all that attached, and it works. There is also a short chain on the drive unit. Where should it attach? Any body have a picture of this? 2. More importantly, as I was mowing along, what would best be described as the pitman arm broke. This is the two spherical rod ends, left and right threaded, with a rod between them to adjust length. When I examined the damage, the end with the left hand threads is completely stripped. Does anyone have part numbers for this part/assembly?

You mean this part?
[img]/club2/attach/GregB/link.jpg[/img]
I made the one on top. Used left and right hand taps, bought the ends from McMaster. Smilin Sam just made one but he bought two right hand ends from someone on E-bay. He also started with a tractor linkage to reduce fabrication. Search for his post.

That's the same functional part, although the one on mine looks compleltely different. On mine the rod ends are both female, but that's the part. I've found the left and right ends in a catalog, I guess I'll just have to buy a left handed tap to make the rest of it. Thanks

All my parts books for sickle mowers, old and up to the newer planetary drive, show the same single part number for all three heim rod ends used on each sickle mower model. Those are all male ends, and yours should be too if its factory. All are right hand thread, so if I were you, I would make sure that yours isnt right hand thread on both ends. All the ones I have seen are. If yours isnt then someone before you must have made up a new arm. When I got my ends off Ebay I got the cheap ones that dont have the plastic sleeve. They cost me about $5 each delivered. Just type in heim on Ebay. Theres a load of racing suppliers on their selling heim ends both male and female. I got male ends in 1/2" fine thread. Then I cut the end off a steering arm and used the threaded end as it was and drilled and tapped the other end. I used my old dogbone arm like Greg has pictured above to get the lenght to cut it.

The pitman arm I had looks like this:
[img]/club2/attach/GWGAllisfan/Sickle_bar_pitman_2.JPG[/img]
I don't know if a previous owner made it or not.

• 1 month later...
both the parts info and pictures can be found in the Operator's Manual download.
quote:
Originally posted by GWGAllisfan
I spent a little time Saturday setting up my B1 with the Sickle Bar mower I had bought last summer. After getting the right belt it was almost perfect, however I have two questions: 1. The sickle i have is the cable lift kind like used on later FDT's. I know the cable attaches to the lift arm, and have the bracket and all that attached, and it works. There is also a short chain on the drive unit. Where should it attach? Any body have a picture of this? 2. More importantly, as I was mowing along, what would best be described as the pitman arm broke. This is the two spherical rod ends, left and right threaded, with a rod between them to adjust length. When I examined the damage, the end with the left hand threads is completely stripped. Does anyone have part numbers for this part/assembly?