Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FDT first timer...

rsnik

I never use any tractor I buy before doing complete PM for the obvious reasons of losing the engine, BGB or tranny due to lack of oil etc. I bought a 2010 PL and the stripped thread spark plug blew when the seller attempted to start it for demonstration. I bought it anyway and tore it down for restoration without ever driving it. I still have not put it back together. I completed PM on the 101 LL I bought a while back but I use my RBTs for anything that needs done and have never used it. Today I put the deck on the 101 LL to mow down the "disaster garden". We thought we could grow a wildflower garden. One of my oldest friends, who is a farmer, said NO!, weeds will overcome the garden and it will be a total disaster. Yep, that's what happened. When I swung my leg over today, this was the first time I have ever driven an FDT. The wheel was turned and the dang thing caught me full in the groin as I fell towards the seat. The "boys" have not had a hit that hard in decades. Not a good start. In the pics you see me take off in a cloud of dust. I quickly see, like you, that the belt is on the deck backwards; nothing is blowing out the discharge chute. I shut it down and flip the belt. Then I have at it. The tractor seems really small compared to an RBT. Granted, I am a fat guy, but this thing seems built for midgets. I get used to it. With the wheel weights and the rear stinger the stability and traction are great. The last shot is a gopher I hit. That's one way of getting rid of them.

Thanks for the nice pictures ...... I really enjoy seeing even the simple day-to-day tasks. People really should get those cameras out more often. The fence job turned out really well too !! Pretty little 101 you've got there. Yes, they do feel small, but the maneuverability is awesome in a tight space .....

:O Hope you gave that critter a decent burial. Or gave it to the cat. Fence turned out nice Jon. Place really looks like it's coming together. Keep posting pics.:D Dave