Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JP10

Electronic iginition for B-112

JP10
Just wanted some clarification on the electronic engine modules. I put one on my B-10 a couple years ago and have had zero problems and now am planning on helping my dad put one on his B-112. Question 1: Is the Nova and the Mega Fire II the same animal? Question 2: Should I be using the Mega Fire One instead of the Mega Fire II because of the following description on II: 'This module is not recommended for use on engines equipped with battery ignition or flywheels with multiple magnets.' The Mega Fire One doesn't say this but I know I have a Mega Fire II or Nova on my B-10. I'm just confused by the description. Aren't these tractors battery ignition? We are planning on replacing the old coil as well. Is their a certain coil/armature more compatible with the electronic ignition and/or proper gap from the flywheel. Best spark plug for this conversion? Thank you guys in advance for any advice, J-P

RayS
The Briggs singles cylinders are a magneto ignition. The magneto creates the spark needed. The Kohler K series are a battery ignition and uses an external coil supplied by battery power. The Mega Fire and Nova ignition modules won`t work on the Kohler engines. I have both the Nova and Nova II on a couple of my engines. The Nova II you can change the wires around on the little box and I believe that it is for a negative or positive ground issue. Either will work. The Nova II is a nicer unit in my opinion since there are longer wires supplied with the module. http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/a1elect.htm http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/novainst.gif