Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leak at input shaft - 3sp transmission

donmoore1904

I have a leak at the input shaft to my 3-sp transmission. I am currently taking the transmission apart to replace the axle tube. My question is what is supposed to seal the input shaft opening in the case. I don't know anything about "sealed" bearings, but a bearing is the outer-most element on this shaft (with the pulley/hub removed, I can see the bearing). It is item 86 in the 3-sp diagram. The pulley hub was damp, and when I pulled it off, the shaft was soaked with oil. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I found I wasn't that low on oil when I drained it, but of course I would like to fix this while I have it torn down. Don

I just figured out this is the same bearing as the mower deck spindles (2018202). I don't believe that bearing is capable of sealing in oil. I think they rely on washers to block oil. I found a discrepancy between what I found and what is in the diagram. When I pulled the cover off, I found a thin washer followed by a shoulder washer that rides against a snap ring. The diagram doesn't show the thin washer. It is possible a previous owner didn't get it assembled correctly. That thin washer may be the one for under the retaining ring for the bearing. I have another 3-sp trans - I think I'll take it apart to see what is in that one, and also to check the Drive Gear, mine has worn keyways. It sure is fun disassembling these transmissions sm00

Turns out the diagram is correct. The ring shown in between (retaining ring for the bearing) is so large the thin washer could be shown on either side. This thin washer is what seals the opening, by bearing against the inner race. The washer is very worn on my good machine where the inner race bears on it (maybe a .003" groove). In the spare trans, the washer is smooth. Also, the input shaft is just a hair smaller on the good machine. So I am going to swap input shafts and thin washers, and hope for the best.

After puttering along with two transmissions split open for several days, I have a different take on my pulley (input) shaft oil leak. I initially thought the worn thin washer just inside the bearing was the cause, not understanding this bearing is sealed. I detected a very slight distortion in the bearing cover, and my guess now is the person who installed it hit the cover and/or the inner race. This caused the race to not butt against the washer uniformly, and thus the excessive wear on the washer. Once I saw the new bearing is indeed sealed, I went back to questioning my thinking...