Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelk

3212H Differential Question

joelk
I have the differential apart and sitting with the bolts up on a table. This is an older style and doesn't have any springs (see the diagram below). Am I correct in assuming that the "lower" gears and the "upper" gears in the "pairs" act independently? As mine is laying there without the differential gear inside the lower gear and the upper gear overlay. So when the lower one moves it drives the upper gear. Isn't that why it is locked or am I missing something in the big picture. It appears that all the parts are installed correctly based on the drawing below, but it's like the spacers are too short, or the gears are too tall. What am I missing?

OrangeMetalGuy
You need to disassemble it, clean and reassemble it. Make sure to follow the manual EXACTLY. That includes buying the temporary bolts you will need to hold it together while reassembling. Do not try to skip steps!! As you assemble it, have that diff gear handy. I like to make sure it will drop through the entire assembly as I put it together. If it won't simply fall through from the top out the bottom, you won't be able to get the rear end together on the tractor. As I add and/or tighten a bolt, I will hold the entire assembly up in the air off the bench and make sure that the diff gear will fall out the bottom. If it won't, you have a problem and need to fix it before continuing.

HubbardRA
There are four pairs of gears that mate with each other. The gears in each pair should not mate with the pair beside it. In other words as you go from bolt to bolt around the circle you should have a front gear, then a back gear, then a front gear, etc. If you reverse one of these sets of gears the assembly will not be able to rotate and the diff will be locked. Each gear and spacer should fit on the internal tube. The bolts should tighten against the tubes with sufficient clearance for the gears to rotate.