Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loader hydraulic fluid - still milky

Tuffy

Hi Tuffy, I have not seen any of your previous posts or replies. Forgive me if I repeat something already said or tried. Are you sure it's not tiny air bubbles in the fluid? If it's air, the fluid will clear upon setting in a cup or bowl for 15 to 30 minutes. If it's truly water, after setting several hours, try to drain everthing possible from all low points in the system. Good Luck, bobjack

The proper way to change hydraulic fluid to remove (most) moisture is to disconnect and drain every hose, cylinder, valve, reservoir, filter, and pump. Then run at least 2 times the actual capacity through the pump with the return disconnected and diverted into another container. Some hydraulic fluid and water become emulsified (homogenized). I have let such fluid sit undisturbed for over a year, and the water never settled to the bottom.

I changed the hydrulic fluid in my ARK 700 loader on my 720 recently (couple weeks ago). I drained the reservoir, replaced the three quarts. Seemed to operate ok. Then this morning I noticed a slight drip - DOH - a milky drip. I drained it again - still milky like last time. It looks like coffee with a little too much cream. What the hey???? I have been running the loader - up /down all kinds of combinations to integrate the new fluid but it still is milky (third batch now). Well I am running out of replacement fluid and I am still looking at that milky @*&!. Any thoughts? I assume water got in there somehow sometime and that was what I am trying to correct. Do you think I have to remove each line and blow it out? At my wits end - Steve