Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
walker

7014s Starter Help!

walker
New (to me) 7014S. Trying to clean it up and get it going. Among other things, the starter on it did not have the gear. Went to my local parts supply and picked up a Briggs kit - for the 396306 starter (which I understand to be correct). Engine is a B/S model - 326437 - type 0252-01. Put it together and started it up. Nothing but a nice ginding sound. Upon inspection, the gear edges are now ground, or chipped off, where they engage the engine gear. When I try to move the starter gear up to the engine gear, it appears that the starter gear is not close enough or long enogh to engage the engine properly. How can I tell if this is the right starter for my engine? I don't see any ID #'s on it. What have I done wrong? Thanks, Walker

305SS
The starter number is right, maybe you need a whole new drive 696541. Did you check the operation of the gear that it goes in and out. not that it stuck out. Gear should rotate out and engage ring gear. not engage ring gear all the time.

walker
I actually (or more clearly stated) did the 696541 kit. It does seem to go in and out OK. It just doesn't seem to be a good "fit". Is it possible that this is not the right starter? It looks like the 396306. Did Simplicity do something different with the drive gear - longer? I just can't figure it out.