Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle Bar and Sunstar

kordscott

I would think to put a sickle on a Sunstar you would have to start with either a newer planetary type or one from a powermax to base the conversion of of. I say this because you have to deal with the Sunstar driving off the front of the tractor with a driveshaft. This would have to be changed to belt drive via a gearbox ( like the mower decks use) at the mower. The main concern would be slowing the drive speed down enough to accomodate the mowers requirements. Such a project would be quite a challenge. I dont see any way to make the B series style mowers work correctly on a Sunstar. My two cents anyhow.

Adapting a Haban sickle for a Sunstar should not be too hard. Will need to adapt the front hanger and the PTO drive. Surplus Center has an appropriate splined PTO shaft that will work by adding a keyway and appropriately sized pulley for proper RPM. A FEW:D other details and you're all set.

Does anyone have a Part # for the planetary gear type sickle bar so I could download the manual and parts list to see what this looks like? Also, the PTO rpm was mentioned. Does anyone know what the original PTO rpm was for my unit? The mounting bracket is dimensionally the same on the Sunstar as the sickle bar. It looks to me like I could use a PTO driveshaft exactly like the one going to the mower deck, install a support bearing for the sickle bar end, and connect it to a pulley and belt that would drive the existing sickle bar gearbox directly. I don't know how the Sunstar PTO speed compares to the original PTO speed that the sickle bar was designed to operate with. If anyone could help me there, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Planetary type is 990785 but, I see what you have in mind and that could work if the rpms were low enough. I dont know what the rpms the sickle mower drive pulley is running when in operation, nor what they are at the driveshaft on a Sunstar but You could adjust the speed down by using a smaller pulley than whats on the mower, to be driven by the driveshaft. All I know is you operate these mowers on the tractors made for them at half or less than half throttle.