Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dang it! B1 won't go

jworth

Not too long ago I was pulling an aerator with my B1. I stopped to pick some berries:) and the she would not move:(!. The differential was spinning but no movement. I have taken both back wheels off and "glanced" at the innards of the differential. All seems fine and turns by hand as I would expect. When reassembled it still will not move. What am i missing?

There are roll pins that lock the internal differential gear to the hub. Sometimes it is hard to tell that these pins are sheared off. I would give it a 99% chance that is what your problem is. John U

OK took the diff apart and found 4 keys. All looked ok. Cleaned everything up and reassembled. Axle tube turns but still no go. Are these similar to sheer pins and a slight blemish will keep them from working? The trans shifts fine and goes from forward to reverse but will not move. Any other suggestions?

The hub that the wheel bolts to is a seperate piece from the gear that engages the spider gears in the differential. With the hub and gear in hand, try turning the gear in the opposite direction of the hub. The roll pins tie to two parts together, but there is also an internal bushing that tends to hold them together. The roll pins shear off much like shear pins, causing the problem you describe. The first time it happened to me, it took several times of taking it apart to realize what was going on. John U

Yep, I felt the flash clear up here on the shore of Lake Erie!! Don't feel bad, I went through the same process. Glad you found it. If can't get the broken pins out, you can drill a second set of holes and put new pins in them. John U

They were so messed up most just fell out. I did use a small easy out of two of them. Must have been broken a long time. Now if I can just get the time to fix them. On the road this week. Again thanks for all the help!

• 2 months later...
As I recall, those are roll pins(sometimes called tension pins), not shear pins. If you want to go with a "Heavy Duty" replacement setup, get a smaller roll pin that fits inside the larger one and install both pins.