Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

916 rear end dying????

osenga

Went to pull the 916 out today to put the blower and snow cab on it and it never happened today . I got on and started it up put it gear to drive out and it wont go . The 916 is all hydro so pushed it out of the garage and it was running the belt is nice and snug and i can the pump is running like it should. Let it run for about 15 minutes and it was in gear the whole time . and all of a sudden it takes off across the drive and of corse i was in the shop whenit took off . any ideas why it took about 15 to 20 minutes before it was ready to drive and the fluide is full

Possibly the charge pump is going bad. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113125&SearchTerms=charge

Send me a email address. I will send you a Sudstrand repair manual.

well i just changed fluid in it and change filter with a simplicity filter and used hydrolic fluid /transmison fluid i boyght from the local rural king could this be to light weight of oilmaybe???

I think it most likely is the pressure relief valve that controls the pressure within the tranny and not the bypass valves that release pressure so the tractor can be pushed. I am guessing that they are sludged up. The pressure relief valve operates at partial flow bypass nearly all the time when the tractor is running. The pump can produce over 800 psi but the tranny operates at around 250 psi. The seat may be sticking in this partially open position while in operation, and the sludge needs to heat up till the spring can push the valve back against the seat to raise the pressure within the tranny. When the pressure raises to the bypass point the valve may be sticking there because the pressure stays within that area till it bleads off on its own after the tractor is shut down. If the sludge has cooled sufficiently to hold the valve in the open position before the pressure bleeds off, this will continue to happen till the inside of the bore and all the parts of the relief valve are cleaned to remove the sludge. If your tractor does not have a hydrolift, it will be the valve on top of the pump. If it has a hydrolift, it will be the valve in the side of the pump.

Got it going again today . And the bad part is on back side of pump where it has the 2 bolts and that parts pulls off and then you have the oring and the pin the pin in there was broke . Nothing was hurt found a spare one and its good to go . Now wonder how it broke